Z system sidemount wreck diving part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry you're getting so much grief, Mike. I still love your videos, and hope to get to the Canary Islands some day to dive with you guys. It looks like a tech diver's paradise.

For me, it's the versatile, "scalable" aspect I appreciate most about the Z. I can dive rec singles, tech doubles, or even surface supplied, all using the exact same rig. And I've done so before, all in the same day, without even leaving the water to switch between them.

For that flexibility, I'm willing to put up with the flak I get for having an overpriced manifold between my shoulder blades and a couple of QC-6 connectors in front.

Note, though, that I'm not crawling thousands of meters into overhead environments. If and when I do, I'll have to decide then whether I want to keep the manifold or not.

Let me guess... you sell UTD equipment, including the Z-system w/manifold, right? (that's your site link in your sig block?)

So this is basically an advert?
I have no problems anyone not liking the system but don't you think if I would be such a salesman i wouldn't be selling other stuff, or do padi/tecrec courses
No, if you go to my site, you won't find the system in a shop.

---------- Post added February 16th, 2014 at 08:27 AM ----------

Wow! Arrogant!
It's a good thing UTD came along to save us, or there would be nobody diving safely in sidemount! And speaking about fly by nighters, how many sidemount dives did AG have before he designed the UTD sidemount gear?

Hi Gearhound,
It is not my intention to be arrogant nor to pretend UTD is going to save the sidemount world. It is another way of SM diving. I don't know how much experience AG he had, I do know the guy is an awesome diver and is an extremely experienced educator. I was a sidemount instructor before the hype, and before the Z-system and was trained by one of the worlds most famous SM instructor trainers.
Peace to all of us.
Mike

---------- Post added February 16th, 2014 at 08:36 AM ----------

Personally, I'm quite shocked to hear a 'DIR' diver/instructor state that it's okay to tolerate and "deal" with failure points, rather than minimize them in the first place. Isn't the philosophy to eliminate them, wherever possible? Thus reducing the need to ever "deal" with them?

Heck, I could 'deal' with suicide clips, heavy narcosis, over-weighting and a myriad of other fundamental compromises. It'd be stupid to do so though.. when I could just avoid them altogether...

This is a very interesting one.
manifolding doubles was a choice with more failure points as well.
Lots of divers, cave divers, still dive independent doubles, and use exactly the same arguments as I see here on the forum.
The extra failure points outweigh the advantages A MANIFOLDED twinset offers, we all know that nowadays.
Regards
Mike

---------- Post added February 16th, 2014 at 08:44 AM ----------

No worries Sandiego ,-), I think it is a part of my job as a UTD Instructor! Hope to see you here one day !

---------- Post added February 16th, 2014 at 08:47 AM ----------

Maybe you should ask AG where he learned to sidemount.

Did he tell you?

Forgive my ignorance but I had the same thoughts as bluemed about the doubles manifold. If its such a hazard to add failure points, why do people usethem? All the z system does is add the same manifold to sidemount (albeit with a higher chance of said failures?). And how often do these failure points actually fail? is there any statistics or information on these failures being offset by manifolds or not having one? Im not saying the system is a good idea or a bad idea as I do not know much about it as it stands but I would assume it offers the same advantages as a backmount doubles manifold. Please correct me if I am wrong or missing some crucial information.

Maybe if I would be living in Mexico, wetsuit, shallow caves and do solo stuff I wouldn't dive the Z system, but I don't and I chose another way of diving.

When you make that statement, I interpret it as that you are looking down upon that way of diving. I think you are underestimating the skill set of the divers that do that type of diving. Cave training is one of the most intensive dive courses you can take. And you are greatly discounting the UTD shop down in Tulum, Mexico. If you trace UTD's path into sidemount, if it doesn't start at Cave Heaven, it goes directly through there. And the origins of your equipment design are from there.

Also, there are many side mount divers in drysuits, steel tanks going deep. All without the Z system. I ice dive regularly in sidemount. I've done deep dives without the Z system. I've done deco dives without the Z system. I'm not sure how the Z system would give me an advantage in these situations.

The only people I've seen diving the Z system have been in youtube of vimeo videos, and they've always been in aluminum tanks. I'm curious to see if your system is versatile enough for steel tanks in cold water. I would think any of the larger wings that UTD has would completely lift away from the body unless attached to a backplate. Or, unless you have a larger waist, the tanks would hang very low in front of your body like a stage when using the bigger wings. I'm assuming the bottom of the triangle of the larger Z wings have to wrap around your waist, thus bringing the d-rings you attach the tanks to closer to the front of your waist. This will drop the bottoms of your tanks.

Gearhound,
Sorry, but I seriously start to doubt about your qualifications and knowhow.
I am willing to discuss questions, doubts that people have and exchange ideas.
C'mon, I kind of know a cavecourse is demanding...
My biggest example and inspiration was Steve Bogaerts, now figure that one out.
Kind regards
Mike

---------- Post added February 16th, 2014 at 02:18 PM ----------

---------- Post added February 16th, 2014 at 02:20 PM ----------

Last edited:
I frequently dive a z system in cold water (33 degrees) with the larger wing and 2 hp steel 120's. I do mount a backplate as I need the extra weight due to the dry suit. I'm envious of the warm water guys as I find it a challenge to properly manage things with thick gloves, lots of lead and zero vis......but it's amazing what we'll do to see what's under the water. I dove traditional side mount for many years and just came back from Tulum diving with Adam who dives a Z system with ISO manifold. It was interesting to get his take on it and the system as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Grateful,

You have put a lot of time in answering to my comment, so I owe you an answer.

First of all, I don't make a big deal of people diving another way, where did you see that?

Secondly, I am a dive educator and not a hard core cave explorer, although I am a cave diver.

I teach people to dive to the best I can, that is my job..

UTD offers me a fantastic teaching system to teach people how to dive, in the sidemount case it comes with a z-system.

I know there are great instructors out there, but great instructors don't come from the 1000's of IDC a year, they come through experience, these guys
have made their own courses.

Almost everyone seems to agree on the fact that UTD divers usually are well prepared, and that's exactly what I am trying to do.

Number 1 in diver accidents is and always will be HUMAN ERROR and not a BCD or your newest hippest regulator. I am after reducing that human error percentage in this case with the z-sytem and the playbook.

If tomorrow someone shows up with a manual, a way to safely teach sidemount in details ALSO to non-cavers, I would be the first one to have a look at that! (and I mean by that ; a course and manual with for example ; A freeflow drill is not just "sipping air from a freeflowing regulator" and an S-drill is NOt.."Donate air to a diver signalling OOA" )

These guys in Mexico are awesome, great divers and inspirational...the truth is that most sidemountdivers nowadays will never ever dive in a cave.
It is sad to see these new sidemountdivers from the big agencies trying to get into the water, helplessly trying to bungee their steel tanks on the shore being washed away by the swell...yes..and lots of them are returning to backmount.
I mean to say that the level what we see here of all these new SM divers is not very high, if you want I can send you some youtube links ;-)

I honestly can see your points, I chose for the bigger picture.

Regards
Mike

I'm trying to comprehend the argument here ... when I dive singles, I dive a standard hogarthian setup. If I need to donate, I donate my long hose. When I dive doubles I dive a Nomad. If I need to donate, I donate my long hose. The only possible difference is that if I'm not breathing off my long hose, it's clipped to a breakaway on my right shoulder D-ring ... where it's easily accessible. I do not ever have to donate a cylinder.

... and what is the problem? I frequently dive mixed teams ... often with GUE or UTD trained dive buddies. Nobody seems to have any difficulties understanding how each other's equipment works.

Well yes ... but how much of an advantage is that, really? Seems to me to be an overstated argument ... if you're having difficulties dealing with minor equipment configuration variants, then perhaps that says more about your deficiencies as a diver than it does about the equipment your teammates are using.

Again, I'm not understanding the argument. When I switch from a back-mounted hog rig to a sidemount rig, nothing in my pockets changes. My light gets used the same way and clipped off in the same place. My emergency skills may or may not be identical, depending on which regulator I'm breathing off of at the time ... but worst-case, the differences are so minor that anyone who's doing dives that require two tanks should have adequate skills to manage it without much conscious effort.

Imagination isn't needed ... information is. I see the advantages ... and I think, frankly, they're overstated. I also see the disadvantages ... all configurations come with both. I don't like the trade-offs ... which is why I didn't choose this rig.

Well OK ... but then why come here and make a big deal about other people choosing another way of diving?

And I still don't comprehend your purpose in making this post ... my sidemount training covered failure points too. It also covered more than one type of system, pointing out the advantages/disadvantages of each. Did yours? With all due respect, I don't think the standardization that seems to be your major selling point is worth the potential failure points ... neither I nor anyone I dive with seems to have any real problems managing regulator changes. I use a long-hose on my right tank, and if I have to donate it works so closely to a standard hogarthian method as to be effectively seamless.

My sidemount instructor dives sidemount all the time ... in caves ... which is where I took my class. He's probably got more sidemount experience than you do ... and evidently a fair fewer biases in terms of what he teaches and how he teaches it.

Well the solution to that problem is simple ... don't get your training on Facebook.

Some of us prefer to think for ourselves, and make choices that best suit our goals, diving environment, and preferences. I'll base mine not on what some agency tells me is the "right way", but on what makes the most sense to me based on the dives I want to do.

Is there a wave of new openwater sidemount fatalities? Can you point me to some statistics showing how all these fatalities could have been prevented by sticking a manifold on your back and removing the very advantages that an independent sidemount rig has to offer? Because, honestly, I'm just not seeing them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Gearhound,
Sorry, but I seriously start to doubt about your qualifications and knowhow.
I am willing to discuss questions, doubts that people have and exchange ideas.
C'mon, I kind of know a cavecourse is demanding...
My biggest example and inspiration was Steve Bogaerts, now figure that one out.
Kind regards
Mike

Mike, I'm not sure what I've said or done to make you question my qualifications and knowhow, but I don't want to get into another clash of personalities like I did in the other thread. I believe I was asking legitimate questions and having a discussion. I will admit that I have the advantage, in that it is easier to critique something than create it. UTD is out there creating things, and I can respect that. I also respect their training and think that they produce some highly motivated divers.

I think a lot of us are inspired by Steve Bogaerts. And I think that a lot of the current craze in sidemount can be attributed to his videos. Here's one for you. My first "aha" moment in diving was watching AG and the 5thDX videos. A friend lent me the X Scooter DVD and I was mesmerized by their pinpoint buoyancy.

Am I the best diver out there? Far from it. But I'm always trying to improve. And I apologize for my activity on the forum lately. It's winter here, and I'm not getting into the water much. Which means I sit at home watching youtube videos about sidemount and cave diving, and cruising these boards scanning for new information.

Gearhound,
Fair enough, ;-) it is winter ,-)
Regards
Mike

Mike, I'm not sure what I've said or done to make you question my qualifications and knowhow, but I don't want to get into another clash of personalities like I did in the other thread. I believe I was asking legitimate questions and having a discussion. I will admit that I have the advantage, in that it is easier to critique something than create it. UTD is out there creating things, and I can respect that. I also respect their training and think that they produce some highly motivated divers.

I think a lot of us are inspired by Steve Bogaerts. And I think that a lot of the current craze in sidemount can be attributed to his videos. Here's one for you. My first "aha" moment in diving was watching AG and the 5thDX videos. A friend lent me the X Scooter DVD and I was mesmerized by their pinpoint buoyancy.

Am I the best diver out there? Far from it. But I'm always trying to improve. And I apologize for my activity on the forum lately. It's winter here, and I'm not getting into the water much. Which means I sit at home watching youtube videos about sidemount and cave diving, and cruising these boards scanning for new information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom