Z 90 diving systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsenloe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone have information regarding Z90 regulators. I recently acquired one in a lot of used gear and have never seen one before. Turret type first stage and square orange second. Any help is always appreciated Regards Scott

Hello Dsenloe,

I worked in a dive shop in the '80ies that sold Z90 gear. SAS (Sub Aquatic Systems) manufactured these regulators and also sold them under its own name. To the best of my recollection the first stage was a flow through balanced piston design with stainless steel body. I never had any problems with any of our rental/class regulators, but I heard complaints as the regulators got older, even though they were stainless steel, the main body parts would form a bond and were damn near impossible to separate.

The second stage is a classic downstream dual adjustment type with a generic hockey puck seat. I believe the lever has a Teflon button that prevents wear on the diaphragm disk- a great idea IMHO.

Couv

Here are a couple of links for more info.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/234508-z90-second-stage-regulator.html#post3569822

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/59269-z90-regulators.html

I took apart the first stage this morning and it was almost identical to the Pro Sub that I had done 1/2 hour earlier except the HP seat was in a carrier instead of loose. The Z90 I have has a standard plated brass body and what I thought was a seized turret, was actually a 5-port fixed cap sort of reminded me of a MK9[is that the one I mean?] I have not tackled the second stage yet because it is pretty light weight and I have not figured out how to open it. I really think you could gather up a bushel basket of SP parts and build just about any other brand of regulator. Any suggestions for the second stage? Regards Scott

How about a few pictures to refresh my memory. In 2006 I found ScubaBoard whilst I was looking for information on where and how to sell my SAS. In the meantime, I'll look through some of my old papers to see if I have anything useful in the way of manuals.

I'm pretty sure the second stage I had had a band clamp like a 109 or 108 and the inlet was very much like a 108. But be careful removing the hose....USE TWO WRENCHES or you'll chance cracking the plastic housing.

Incidentally, you are correct about the MK9. It's like a MK10 with no turret.

Update: I have not located any manuals (...yet, I moved here 13 years ago and still need a bit of time to unpack) but I did discover a couple of NOS second stage orifices. PM me and they are yours for a token swap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom