Yukon (Canadian Destroyer) Dive Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDuba723

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Oh k so my Dive Instructor wants to take me to The Yukon Dive Site in San Diego for my AOW course next summer, and i wanted to know who has dived there and what its like? Also if you have any pics etc that would be cool. Ive heard great things about it and id like to hear it for myself.

You should have this moved to the Socal forum. It's a deep-ish U-shaped profile. Local dive boats (Lois-Ann) have references on their own websites, so have a peekl

Here's an article with maps from the San Diego Ocean Foundation website. http://sdoceans.org/pdfs/S2R%20yukon%20map.pdf DiveNav Virtual Diving - Explore your Ocean has a virtual dive of the Yukon; it's crashed both times I tried to do it but YMMV. It will take you two 80 cu. ft. dives just to cover the outside of it; and there are plenty of opportunities to duck inside without losing view of the exit.

It is a nice dive and you'll have fun. Lots of references on the web with pics.

I did my wreck certification there over the course of 2 days and it was really great. The Yukon is all deep diving (60+ ft). You'll find the boat lying on its side. I definitely recommend getting one of those waterproof maps of the yukon. It really helps with navigating and exploring it. The deepest is about 100ft according to my little computer.

You don't need to penetrate the wreck, which I assume you will not be doing, to experience the wreck. The surface currents were huge the weekend I was there. We tried to descend as soon as possible. Between 0 to 20 ft I was tossed around like a rag doll and was holding onto the mooring line really tight. But once I got to about 60ft it was calm and amazing. The visibility got worse around 80 ft (about 20-30 ft vis)where the wreck appeared.

It was my first experience seeing a wreck and I was scared and intrigued at the same time. By the 3rd dive, I finally started to recognize difference parts to the boat. It made it that much more satisfying...

The boat was huge and I definitely would need to do a lot more dives to really see all of it. I think you'll have a great time.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to SoCal

Heres my dive on the Ruby E... just down the way from the Yukon and slightly shallower.

Video

The day I dove the Yukon I sat on the forward guns and could see the bow. Awesome diving! O.. and a Sea lion was busy with wreck penetration :)

And the guys on the the Louis Anne are great!

The Yukon is a interesting dive. There is usually a green surface layer and better vis down below. It gets down to 105' or so on the sand, but there is a lot to see. Since it is a relatively recent wreck, the sea life is just getting started. Here are a few photos I took on the Yukon a couple years ago when I first got my 5D.

Wreck of the HMCS Yukon - a set on Flickr

Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom