YS01 not firing w/ Recsea/S100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkopec

Contributor
Reaction score
First, I know my setup works properly as I tested it w/ hundreds of shots in the pool before my recent trip to Puerto Rico. I also took one test shot when I got to the hotel which worked fine and one on the boat before getting in the water. Once I reached the bottom (~50 ft), I took a few more test shots and noticed it only fired one out of every few shots. Then that turned into 1 out of 10, 1 out of 20.... Now even out of the water it only fires randomly once out of every 20 or so shots.

This was mostly in manual mode, camera flash set to forced flash, power min, strobe set to full? flash as opposed to preflash mode, batteries fully charged. I also tried switching camera flash to max, strobe set to preflash, TTL, etc. (every different setting I could think of) and still only got the strobe to fire every once in a while. Connection is via fiber optic cable using the Recsea housing supplied strobe mask (also tried w/ and w/out electrical tape over the 2nd port on the strobe mask). I can see just enough light through the side of the strobe mask to confirm that the camera flash is firing every time. Focus light on the strobe still turns on fine and no sign of flood anywhere.

Only thing I can think of is something is messed up somehow on the fiber optic connection that's only allowing it to pick up the camera's flash intermittently. Seems odd that it worked so consistently before and the only thing I did was unplug it for travel and connected it right back up in the hotel. The cable itself isn't exactly a complicated contraption so I'm not sure what could have possibly been damaged.

I got the strobe recently here on the Scubaboard classifieds so not sure about warranty or sending it to Sea&Sea to get fixed if necessary.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Brian
Raleigh, NC

On the YS-01, there are 2 different "holes" to plug you fiber optic cable into. The black one would be the correct one. Is it possible you plugged your cable into the "clear" one ? Your symptoms described, emulate what happens when you plug into the clear one, which is a slave trigger/pass through. Or batteries ??

Camera in Manual Strobe to No pre-flash
Camera in Auto Strobe to TTL or Pre-flash
Make sure you put in the right plug
Finally what cable are you using? Cheap cables have issues in water

Yep those are the settings I was able to use successfully in the pool. Using this cable: Sea & Sea Fiber Optic Cable SS-50107. Plugged into the port on the "left" when looking at the face of the YS01 (the one on the right is for connecting to a second strobe).
[h=1][/h]

This is the highest quality cable that exists I use this one and never miss a shot
However at times it goes a bit dumb when in TTL. I shut down camera and strobe and on again and am back to normal

BK--So what happens if you skip the cable and just park the -01 slave port in front of the camera flash? If you can't get consistent operation that way it kinda narrows it down. If you do get consistency maybe try the cable plugged in the housing, see how bright the strobe end looks when fired from the camera strobe. A new cable, even if it becomes a backup, isn't a bad thing to have on a trip. Still, gotta be a drag on a trip. Sorry to hear it. // ww

Great idea WW, thanks. Unfortunately, even w/out the cable the strobe won't fire at all now. I tried about 30 or so shots this morning w/ fresh batteries and it didn't fire once. Anyone have any ideas on what the play is as far as sending it in somewhere? Not sure where the guy bought it from originally but hopefully I still have some options having bought it used on the forums.

Yeah, 2nd hand. Outside the water just means in my living room basically.

The strobe currently does not fire at all if I point the camera towards it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom