YS 01 STROBE DEAD / NO indicator RED LIGHT TURN ON

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@DavyR, thanks for the pics. I was able to revive @Scuba_Jenny strobe by cleaning up the circuit board.

Here you can see the condensation clearly.
PXL_20230517_031008591~2.jpg

Here you can see the problem. I wasn't able to desolder this mess, so I opted to try cleaning it with rubbing alcohol as best I could.
PXL_20230525_181402934.jpg

At least now nothing is bridging the pins.
PXL_20230529_171039534.jpg
PXL_20230529_171033813.jpg

I hooked it all up, put in some batteries and she fired right up. I did test shots, and it fired every time. So I cleaned it up and lubed the o-ring. Good as newish :).
PXL_20230529_172312047.jpg

^^ WOOT! Nice job!

@DavyR, thanks for the pics. I was able to revive @Scuba_Jenny strobe by cleaning up the circuit board.

Here you can see the condensation clearly.
View attachment 785543
Here you can see the problem. I wasn't able to desolder this mess, so I opted to try cleaning it with rubbing alcohol as best I could.
View attachment 785544

At least now nothing is bridging the pins.
View attachment 785545View attachment 785547

I hooked it all up, put in some batteries and she fired right up. I did test shots, and it fired every time. So I cleaned it up and lubed the o-ring. Good as newish :).
View attachment 785546
Any idea how the moisture got in?

Any idea how the moisture got in?
Zero idea. The o'ring was dirty, but that's expected since it's not considered serviceable. I've seen several posts here and on WetPixel where others have experienced the condensation issue. Maybe it's a design flaw or just bad luck? It happened on this strobe while borrowing it, so I was determined to get it back to a working state. Fortunately, I was successful.

Back
Top Bottom