YS 01 STROBE DEAD / NO indicator RED LIGHT TURN ON

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Guys, my S&S YS-01 is experiencing the same issue. When I switch the unit on with Fresh batteries, I get a flicker of the Red light and the Whine sound but then it dies. Pressing the focus light button and turning the unit on at the same time, I get the focus light will come on for a split second and then it will die. It was working fine on dry land up until my first dive in Lembeh and no it did not flood. Wish I had done my research before buying the unit.

I realize this is an old thread, but my YS01 had a similar problem. I bought it from a Goodwill store. It looked like new but didn’t charge when batteries installed. Tried bending the contacts on battery cover but that didn’t help. With battery cover on but not locked, I found that if I pushed down on the lower left part of the cover looking at the strobe from the back, the capacitor charged, red light came on flash and focus light worked. When I released the pressure, the light cut out and the strobe didn’t work.
Looking inside the battery compartment,
At the bottom and to the left there was a negative contact with a positive contact below it. The positive contact had a raised plastic rim around it. I wondered if that was somehow impeding contact with battery. I found that a 3/8-inch nut driver fit over the inside edge of the ring, And by applying a little pressure twisting the nut driver left and right I was able to ‘burnish’ the ring. After putting batteries back in the strobe works. I suspect that the ridge was a little too high in preventing contact, and after burnishing it was no longer in the way. This is only a guess, but in any case the strobe now works

1B1DAC48-A16B-444B-B4DF-AE36D81B3D3E_1_201_a.jpeg

Thanks for sharing this. Good to know techniques that have worked for others. It's been a while, I think tried cleaning all the contacts, but maybe I didn't.

Want to take a crack at my YS-D2 that locks up and illuminates the solid green error light (only reset by removing batteries) after a few shots on TTL? Works fine in Manual. (Sea & Sea gave their standard answer, "You flooded it.") :rolleyes:

I realize this is an old thread, but my YS01 had a similar problem. I bought it from a Goodwill store. It looked like new but didn’t charge when batteries installed. Tried bending the contacts on battery cover but that didn’t help. With battery cover on but not locked, I found that if I pushed down on the lower left part of the cover looking at the strobe from the back, the capacitor charged, red light came on flash and focus light worked. When I released the pressure, the light cut out and the strobe didn’t work.
Looking inside the battery compartment,
At the bottom and to the left there was a negative contact with a positive contact below it. The positive contact had a raised plastic rim around it. I wondered if that was somehow impeding contact with battery. I found that a 3/8-inch nut driver fit over the inside edge of the ring, And by applying a little pressure twisting the nut driver left and right I was able to ‘burnish’ the ring. After putting batteries back in the strobe works. I suspect that the ridge was a little too high in preventing contact, and after burnishing it was no longer in the way. This is only a guess, but in any case the strobe now works

View attachment 600791
Both of the positive contacts have a raised rim.

This is a mechanical safety design feature that prevents bad things from happening if batteries are put in backwards.

The rim prevents the flat negative battery surface from touching the contact. So if you put batteries in the wrong way nothing happens since the electrical circuit is not completed.

If you have malformed positive ends on a battery this could prevent proper contact.

Both of the positive contacts have a raised rim.

This is a mechanical safety design feature that prevents bad things from happening if batteries are put in backwards.

The rim prevents the flat negative battery surface from touching the contact. So if you put batteries in the wrong way nothing happens since the electrical circuit is not completed.

If you have malformed positive ends on a battery this could prevent proper contact.

Thank you for the information.
I wonder if the rim could have had a tiny ridge that the nut driver removed.....

My strobe started cutting out again (red light turned off, no focus light, no capacitor charge), so I decided to disassemble it.
What I found was that nuts on the underside of the circuit board that help provide contact between battery terminals and circuit board, as well as anchor the circuit board were loose: so I suspect that contact was intermittent which caused the problem. Since tightening the nuts, the strobe has worked flawlessly on several dives and 100's of flashes.
Attached are photos to help illustrate. (Also some photos of other parts of the strobe for reference.)
55F1B678-4D20-4329-96C3-1A0ECF42C76F_1_201_a.jpeg
CE723E27-0950-44DB-BB66-0AACF2D7C932_1_201_a.jpeg
2273EB44-AC8D-43E4-8EBF-928353EDBA57_1_201_a.jpeg
D92F5024-0A73-41D8-A716-FD0E6BB73E43_1_201_a.jpeg
CAA5BC81-6BF2-497D-98FE-E343C3E5E006_1_201_a.jpeg
A1D1D6C5-0DF6-4633-9710-3911B7F90F8A_1_201_a.jpeg
747B64CE-2C8D-43DB-937A-F1B1B18A7320_1_201_a.jpeg
6F640498-E987-46DB-96CC-A64A61127807_1_201_a.jpeg
E573B1B0-C25C-4D40-A7F8-BF6F53D80936_1_201_a.jpeg
AD5DA53C-3C6A-4C9D-B89D-35DEF26CFCC1_1_201_a.jpeg

Thanks for the teardown pics! I've recently posted about my issues with my YS-01 Solis strobes, so I don't have any usable strobes. @Scuba_Jenny was kind enough to let me borrow a YS-01 she had laying around. It worked great on one dive. Yesterday while diving, a little over an hour into the dive, it started acting funny. The strobe would just automatically fire every 3 seconds or so and not respond to me shooting the camera. I turned it off and it wouldn't turn on. Ugh...

When I got home, I noticed condensation inside the main unit near the focus light and flash. So now what? I'm comfortable with tearing it down, soldering, etc. For those of you who experienced condensation, were ever able to get the strobe functioning again? If so, what did you do?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom