Your thoughts about a UW HD Video Rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO, the V1U does not offer any advantage underwater over the FX7. The advantages are topside, primarily the XLR audio and progressive scan. If that matters to you then go for the V1U.

Just remember the increase in size/weight of these bigger systems. BTW, I'm buying an Ikelite HV10 housing for casual less serious diving/video. All the topside footage in my Grand Cayman video was shot with an HV10.

When you watch your movies in an HDTV can you see the difference between your FX-7 and your HV-10? Yeah the 2lb difference in camera might be better for me, when ever I use light weight camera's I get shake. I don't know why, but the heavier the camera the smoother my hands get, weird.

But as I mentioned before, I would like to be able to do some serious topside video also. Like some landscape, nature or even little skits. So having the XLR would be great. And the progressive scan would have to help under water, with 24P rate, I should get cinema like appearance. I believe there is some other differences, as far as controls, but I wouldn't use them till I got some serious experience. Do you think, I would be better off with the FX-7? Everyone seems to tell me to get the best camera, I can afford, so, either would be ok, and the V1U and FX7 use the same housing.

The FX7 performs better than the HV10 in tough lighting conditions. In good conditions you really can't see much of a difference. Getting the best camera is a good theory, just wanted to point out the extra size and weight of the housings is a negative for traveling and shore diving.

UW the FX7 and V1U will perform identical. I don't think 24p is the look you want for UW. The XLR will be useful for topside interviews with external mics. If you don't mind the price difference, go for the V1U.

Over on wetpixel.com I am surprised by the vote results as of so far. There is only 8 votes, but 5 are for the HC-9 Gates housing.

Canon HV-30 Ikelite housing [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Canon HV-11 Ikelite housing [ 1 ] ** [11.11%]
Canon HV-30 Mansgrove housing [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Canon HF-11 Mansgrove housing [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Sony HDR-SR12 Ikelite housing [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Sony HDR-HC9 ikelite hoousing [ 1 ] ** [11.11%]
Sony HDR-SR12 Amphibico EVO housing [ 1 ] ** [11.11%]
Sony HDR-HC9 Gates housing [ 5 ] ** [55.56%]
Sony HDR-FX7 Ikelitie housing [ 1 ] ** [11.11%]

But I wonder if its because of the housing or the camera. Didn't think about it, when I posted that thread. Just thought maybe you guys and gals were curious.

Ron:

I wanted to compliment you on your videos. It is easy to see that you have put alot of time into your creations from great composition to editing and selecting a soundtrack. I have been using canon products since the late 70's. I am just now going through the laboriuos process of scanning all of my slides.

I am seriously thinking about purchasing some video equipment. I will most likely go with the Canon HF 10 and the Ikelite 6090 housing and have several questions:

The housing comes with a filter for blue water so I assume that this is a red filter. Is that correct?

Does the housing provide connections for video lights? I dive off the east coast, near Atlantic City NJ, and would like to purchase them at a later date.

Have you ever shot video in the waters off the east coast and if so, can you recommend a specific filter?

Finally, I noticed the topic of ports comes up in various threads. Will the standard accessories for the housing suffice for know and can I add different ports at a later date? I would rather start out simple and make changes as I gain experience.

Thank you for your time.

Greg

Ron:

I wanted to compliment you on your videos. It is easy to see that you have put alot of time into your creations from great composition to editing and selecting a soundtrack. I have been using canon products since the late 70's. I am just now going through the laboriuos process of scanning all of my slides.

I am seriously thinking about purchasing some video equipment. I will most likely go with the Canon HF 10 and the Ikelite 6090 housing and have several questions:

The housing comes with a filter for blue water so I assume that this is a red filter. Is that correct?

Does the housing provide connections for video lights? I dive off the east coast, near Atlantic City NJ, and would like to purchase them at a later date.

Have you ever shot video in the waters off the east coast and if so, can you recommend a specific filter?

Finally, I noticed the topic of ports comes up in various threads. Will the standard accessories for the housing suffice for know and can I add different ports at a later date? I would rather start out simple and make changes as I gain experience.

Thank you for your time.

Greg

Greg, since I am one of the few here using Ikelite products, let me answer you questions.

Yes, the filter that comes with it is Red. You use it anytime you are over 15' deep in ANY water to restore of the red back into the picture. When you are over 80-90' you will take it off as it will deminish the light available and not effect color anymore as everything is solid blue at that depth anyhow.

Yes, Ikelite makes lights. I bought a light rig to use recently and it is made for the housing, attaches easily, works well. BUT be aware that lights only work when you are close to a subject, like under 5' away, just take the red filter off when you turn on the lights or your vid will be pink. Otherwise you will use the red filter for color in all you vids. The only people who have lights that will light up a whole reef are the people like Howard Hall who has a huge spotlight system run with cables from the surface to power it!!

As far as the ports go, the port that comes standard on the Ikelite housing is fine to start. It is perfectly suited for the camcorder as is. The other ports that are now made are to fit a new Wide Angle lens that will fit onto your camcorder inside the housing. There isn't enough room inside the housing to fit the lens so they have made these new ports to accomodate the size. If you are new to videography, I would recommend you start with the original housing and camcorder first and learn that. Then you can think about adding the WA lens and port later. They aren't necessary for you yet.

Hope this helps. And yes, I agree, Ronscuba's videos are FANTASTIC! He is one of the people who inspired me to get into video. :D

robin:D

Ditto what Robin said. :D

Thanks for the kind words Robin. There are many people out there creating great UW video. Not everyone chooses to share their work on boards like this though.

For inspiration, I like to watch topside vids on vimeo. A lot of indie talent plus industry pro's over there. Camera angles, lighting, shading, storylines, editing techniques etc.. For example, I just watched this great little short video from award winning filmaker Bruce Branit.

[vimeo]3365942[/vimeo]

Robin:

Thank you for the information. We will be visiting the Cayman Islands soon so I need to start shopping.

Greg

Hello ScubaBoard,

I have been lurking your excellent u/w video postings for too long! I am very interested in this endlessly complex and expensive topic and would like to share my experiences. Last year I went on a 2 month backpacking trip though central America. I did heaps of diving with a video camera in Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Belize and Mexico. It was a tremendous trip and has fully hooked me on this beautiful hobby. I used a Canon HV20 in the Ikelite housing. I mainly chose this combo for a nice balance of price and camera quality (I was previously using a wimpy still camera in video mode, so this was a pretty big upgrade). I did not use any lights and also failed to use a red filter (I smacked myself later). Nonetheless, I had a great time and learned some lessons.

Here are my results:

[vimeo]1805269[/vimeo]

The ikelite housing was quite bulky to backpack with in hostels and local buses. I would disassemble it into parts so it would fit properly into my pack when I traveled between cities. It took up almost half of my storage space! This size was actually nice underwater though as it reduced my shakiness quite a bit (although clearly I have a long way to go). The side mirror took some getting used to as the Canon does not reverse the viewfinder. I had lots of "follow the fish...OOPS..wrong way" moments. My least favorite thing about the housing was its tendency to fog. I missed out on several amazing shots because of this problem (including a 30 foot whale shark swimming a few feet over my head!). I can still hear my underwater shriek of disappointment. I have since learned I should have wrapped my case in a towel while not diving. (I smacked myself again). Although I have complained a lot about this housing, it was a great introduction to higher quality vid at an attainable price. The HV20 performed really nicely above ground. It handled harsh jungle conditions superbly and the colors came out vibrant and engaging.

I am about to do a similar trip through south east Asia. I want to backpack around Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia doing a wide variety of adventures (including scuba diving). I am trying to decide to upgrade my system or get another year of use from my current system. I can't really imagine myself lugging this rig around again though so I have been eying smaller systems more suited to my traveling style. I am definitely intrigued by the ultra tiny Oceanhaus cameras from http://www.absea.net/
but I am scared of using just the viewfinder and the shakiness factor of using such a small camera. I am also quite intrigued by the new monitor backed Seatool. This would be a big price leap for me but I am certainly tantalized by the ease of use and portability upgrade it would bring. Lastly I have been considering the much less expensive but ultra portable Bonica system. I have not been blown away by the picture quality but maybe I could accept that by how happy I am with a light backpack?

I just hope I don't get robbed!

Anyone have any opinions or stories that can bring new insight into the world of backpacker HD scuba video?

Also consider the Canon HF10. Similar video quality as the HF11, but a smaller flash drive. Full resolution you'll get 2hrs on the HF10, 4hrs on the HF11. If you don't mind downloading your footage more frequently, the HF10 is about $200 cheaper than the HF11.

I have just checked your video. amazing, what rig do you use, as I am looking to buy the HF11 as well?

I use a Sony FX7 for underwater. It's great, but very big and heavy.

I did recently get a Ikelite housing for my Canon HV10 for less serious shooting. Will try it out at the end of the month in Aruba. Video-wise, it is basically the same as the HV20,30. GlugGlug's video from his HV20 is impressive when you consider he forgot to use the filter.

The latest Canon S10/100 camcorders look very impressive topside. I'm very curious to see how they do underwater with a quality housing like Gates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom