Your thoughts about a UW HD Video Rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was looking at the following set-up:

Canon HF11 running around $800.00
Ikelite #6090 case running around $760.00

I wanted to get some thoughts and opinions from the video guru's. This would be my first High Definition video camera, and my first dedicated underwater video rig. I am just using my Sealife DC 800 and it is doing my stills and my video.

So if anyone could tell me the pro's and con's of the Canon?

What about the Sony SR series? Do they have any advantage over the Canon?

I want to be able to take some really good quality High Definition video. So, I really don't mind spending a few hundred more then the Canon, if I am getting a better quality product and picture. It seems the Canon's and Sony dominate the underwater video world. So let me know what you think!

What is your ideal HDV rig?

Thanks,

Ed
:popcorn:

Edit: I found a few lists of top HD camcorders, and for the non-pro they all seem to point to 4 cameras:

Canon HF11
Sony SR11
Sony SR12
Sony HDR-CX12

I think you will like any of those. As a NEW videographer, it is good not to get a system that isn't too expensive or too big a learning curve. With the Ikelite housing, you will be able to use the main features of the camcorder and get good underwater videos.

A few things about the Ikelite housing..... be sure to keep it out of the sun. The clear housing will heat up inside if left sitting on the boat unprotected. I take a white towel to cover the camcorder between dives and keep it cool. Sitting in the rinse tank is okay as long as it isn't in direct sun and there aren't alot of other rigs in there. I usually rinse my for a few minutes then take it out, wipe off the lense with a chamois I keep in a baggie to keep wet, and then cover with the towel. :D

Nice thing about the Canon F11 is that the housing doesn't need the mirror on the outside as the screen can be open and viewed through the back of the housing. So after each dive make sure you wipe that area off too. The Sony camcorders use the LANC plugin port to connect to the housing for the "reverse circuitry" unit. That way the mirror image you view will be reversed back.

Make sure you wash the red filter also. Salt water rinse and dry between dives. I wash mine with a mild soap and water back at the room daily too which keeps it from getting a sticky film.

After that........go dive and start editing!! BTW, editing is the longest part of underwater videography. Get ready to watch your video clips over and over and over. :shocked2:

robin:D

Also consider the Canon HF10. Similar video quality as the HF11, but a smaller flash drive. Full resolution you'll get 2hrs on the HF10, 4hrs on the HF11. If you don't mind downloading your footage more frequently, the HF10 is about $200 cheaper than the HF11.

How about the Sony HDR-XR500V? This one isn't even out yet, but it seems they have added some new technology. A lot of people seem hyped about this camera. Yeah its a few hundred dollars more, but is it really worth the extra cash? I am not to sure on all the new goodies it comes with. So you can check it out here to compare. Is it worth waiting for this unit? Is the priced hyped up also, because its the new camera?

And Thanks for all the reply's. :D

Edit: This is the main new technology which sounds like it is perfect for underwater video. I am no to sure exactly what it means, but they say the new Exmor R CMOS sensor is used and beneficial for low light situations. The intergrated GPS is also nice, but thats just a bonus for me. I am more worried about quality of the video.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm curious too if the new models offer any real video improvement. Only problem with these new models is the cost. $1,300 for the XR500 and $1,500 for the XR520. The latest and greatest always costs more even if the improvements are just minor or features. GPS ??? Ikelite also for some reason charges more for Sony Housings than Canon. I'm guessing Ikelite housings for these new Sony cams to be around $1,250.

Worth waiting to see, but the $600 Canon HF10 and $800 Ikelite housing is a steal in comparison.

Yeah, I'm curious too if the new models offer any real video improvement. Only problem with these new models is the cost. $1,300 for the XR500 and $1,500 for the XR520. The latest and greatest always costs more even if the improvements are just minor or features. GPS ??? Ikelite also for some reason charges more for Sony Housings than Canon. I'm guessing Ikelite housings for these new Sony cams to be around $1,250.

Worth waiting to see, but the $600 Canon HF10 and $800 Ikelite housing is a steal in comparison.

Yeah the XR500 comes with GPS. " Geotagging with built-in GPS receiver.Perfect for travelers, this camcorder features a built-in GPS receiver that automatically adjusts your camcorder's clock to the proper time zone and lets you view your current location on the LCD map display, as well as "tag" your shooting locations. You can view your tagged videos and pictures via the Map Index function or after you've downloaded them to your PC using the supplied Picture Motion Browser (PMB) software. "

Nothing real special, but sounds like a fun toy. And i really don't understand why the Ikelite housing are more expensive then there Canon counter part. There is no housing available yet for the XR-500 or the Canon HF20.

Ron you are correct the canon HF-11 and housing is a steal in comparison to even the SR-12. For example: SR-12 $900.00 Housing: $1,234.95 Wide Angle Lens: $849.95 Grand Total: $ 2,984.90. Now the Canon HF-11: $849.00 Housing: $759.95 Wide Angle Lens: $849.95 Grand Total: $ 2,458.90.

Now considering the XR-500 MSRP is $1,299.00 and the housing will be at least $1,234.95 and the Wide Angle Lens is $849.95 for a Grand Total of $ 3,384.89.

Were talking a $ 926.00 difference from the Canon HF-11 to the New Sony HDR-XR500V. So, is there enough quality video difference to warrant buying the XR-500. Won't know till its out! I believe the release date is March 8, 2009.

So what other accessories are worth getting, ie video lights, color filters, wide angle lenses, etc ?

yeah, I am wondering the same thing....... how much quality difference is there once you move to HD???

I am looking at the Canon HG20 now. I had been considering the Sony SR11 or SR12 but the additional cost on the housing is making me hesitate. The Sony's get good reviews on quality, what about the Canon HG20? I like that you can see the screen throught he back of the Ikelite housing on the Canon and don't need the additional circuitry (part of the price difference).
My old ~sigh~ camcorder and housing weighed 10lbs, these look a bit smaller and only 8lbs. I like that too. :D And my new Ikelite light is sitting alone in my pelican case wishing to go diving.......:D
The Sony SR11 and SR12 look like they might get discontinued soon also. I am very torn as to which way to go.

robin:D

Be careful with the wide angle lens options. Many UW wide angle lens on HD camcorders have been reported as disappointing unless you spend big bucks. I think there is a report on the new Ikelite HD W/A lens over on Wetpixel. Don't remember if it was positive or negative.

The Canon HG series has been getting great reviews just like the HF line. Guess it's just whether you prefer flash or hard drive.

I have a couple of Canon camcorders. They don't feel as solid as Sony's. I haven't had any problems, but I tend to baby my electronics gear.

Robin, loved your video page, good videos!

This HD camera stuff is like car shopping. There is just so much to choice from. What is the best recording media? Hard drive, memory stick, tape, etc, its all so confusing. The only difference I see in technology is anything that is coming out in the next month or so, seems to have better technology. But do some of the older models Sony and Canon still produce and carry do just as well? Its enough to make your head spin.

I must admit, I really like the Light and Motion housings, it would be nice to have the sony, so maybe at a later date I can move into a Light and Motion Housing. But I did do up the following comparisons to look over.

Canon HF-S10, HF20 & HF11

Sony HDR-XR500, HDR-SR12 & HDR-SR12

Sp far from what I gather the two top units are the Sony HDR-XR500 and the Canon HF-S10. The Sony XR-500 seems to have a good amount of megapixel over the little siblings. The Canon S10 has almost 3 times the megapixels as its younger siblings. One thing I did see that could be a big difference between the Sony and the Canon, is the audio format. The Sony is Dolby 5.1, and the Canon is Dolby AC-3 2 channel. Not like it matters for underwater, but top side use, that could make a very big difference.

I don't know, you guys check out the comparison and let me know if I am missing anything important. I am not up on the video technology, and there is so much data and specs. Like I said before, I don't mind spending a couple extra bucks to get better quality. I can only assume between the new Sony and new Canon, the technology difference has to make the video quality a little better.

And again, what accessories will I need? I assume I will need a wide angle lens and lights, anything else?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom