Your personal experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

east-ender:
make sure you shoot a little air in your bc before a giant stride entry with a LOT of weight.

...Unless backrolling off of a dory at night in a 3mph current with 5 other divers.

There are very few rules set in stone. Especially when the stone is molten and moving. SCUBA is a fluid :wink: situation!

1000 day-time dives from a resort boat in the warm Caribbean does not make an experienced diver.

Nor does 1500 dives in Lake Michigan or off of North Carolina.

Broad based experience. That is the key

cornfed:
Spend some time figuring out how much weight you actually need. Being properly weighted will make the dive more pleasant.

Ain't that the truth. Spending 30 minutes at the surface face down and feet about 60 degrees above you , kicking like hell in hopes you can get down enough to compress your suit, doesnt make a good dive.....

RoatanMan:
...Unless backrolling off of a dory at night in a 3mph current with 5 other divers.

Broad based experience. That is the key
Take some tips from the synchronised swimmers. Group backrolls must go at the same time. Otherwise, latecomers land their tanks on the heads of those already in. Seen this happen - blood and bad language (glad to hear the language - being too badly hurt to swear is one of my crisis indicators).

Broad based experience - now that really is the thing.

When boarding a boat in rough seas, don't try to hang onto the swim platform while your buddy mounts the ladder ... :shocked:

One good hint is to give plenty of "kick" room between yourself and the person you're following. Otherwise you could easily loose your mask.

While boarding the boat, rough sea or not, stay out from under the dive platform or it may come down on your head. Been there, done that...

I will make fun of my dive partner first. When doing Salt Water diving and Fresh water diving always remember to check that your wieght is set up properly for the water. My dive buddy sank like a rock after having his gear set up for salt water. Also, it did not help that his buckle on his fin broke as he was trying with all his might to kick up wards and inflate his BC. He did make it to the surface and everything turned out alright.
My turn, since you are new when you dive with more experienced divers do not be afraid to call the dive off because the other divers are at 1500 and you are at 700. Like I did and because of stupidity I stayed down to long and had to buddy breath with my more experienced dive buddy to the surface. I did not want them to have a bad dive and so I stayed down to long and ran out of air. It could of turned out worse where I ran out of air and my dive buddy was not around for me to signal and I would of been in a world of hurt. I still to this day kick myself in the butt for that but I learned no matter who ever you are if you are low on air call the dive. LIVE TO DIVE ANOTHER DAY.

SpaceCase:
(those with at least a couple dives over their heads) would share their personal experiences (as some have). I'm even talking about the simple ones...

Here goes. New diver...

Get a load of this story on my second dive. George and I headed out, near sundown, which I thought was cool, low light, all the critter start comming out. We got down about 40 45ft or so and the whole time, George is swimming face down looking like a cork on a line. I figure I'd just pull out a 2lb bag and he could stuff it in his pocket and we'll be on our way. I was still over weight anyhow so loosing 2lbs would be no big deal. I let all the air out of my bc and made the very stupid mistake of taking my bc off. :11: Yeah off. I realized about half way through this process that I didn't have a belt, :dropmouth and if I let go, I'd be headed straight for the serfice really quick. Got my attention quick, lemme tell you. I thought " WHAT AM I DOING" I bit down about as hard as I could on my reg and grabbed hold of my bc TIGHT. Oh yeah by now you could't see 2 ft from silt, and it was getting darker. Anyhow, managed to get back into my bc, stayed cool the whole time, buckeled up and headed back up top. :doh: thinking "idiot" the whole way. My lack of sense messed up what was beginning to be a really cool dive. I just wanted to get George a little more weight. What I learned is never never tinker and swap under water. Do it all on the serfice, near the shore where you can stand.

I posted this a little while ago but it might help you.

Things to remember when diving with the spouse:

1. "No honey, the suit does not make you look fat."
2. Never tell her that seals are like dogs and will try to hump your leg.
3. In the excitement to get into the water, dont forget about her.
4. Never assume your comfort level is her comfort level.
5. Dont stare at the other female divers.
6. In the rush to get to the restroom after the dive, dont forget about her.
7. When telling scuba stories, remember that she was there too.
8. Never write something bad about your wife in your logbook. She WILL read it.
9. Dont even bother trying to understand their choice of colors for their gear.
10. "Thanks for being my dive buddy" is fun to say.

east-ender:
make sure you shoot a little air in your bc before a giant stride entry with a LOT of weight.

never over weight yourself so much that you need to do the above! You should be 4 lbs negative when diving a single alum 80.

Your treating the symptons not the problem and that is just stupid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom