your opinions @ Cenotes, training, hotels..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I need help planning a 2 week trip for the Spring; one week to Cenote country to take a 3 day Cavern class and a few days of fun cenote dives, and then head over to Cozumel (somehow) for a week of Caribbean reef diving.

Location: If you've ever been to Roatan's West End you know what I like - simple, very relaxed, cheap, not blaringly touristy and not crowded, not built up, no neon, and no huge hotels.

Hotel: small, not lux, but safe, clean and I like my private bath. A short walk to the dive shop.

Dive shop: Obviously a first class cave instructor and dive guide, and shop. One that makes the logistics easy. I like them on the big side because prices get lower when there are others in the class or diving. Plus, it is more fun that way.

I've checked a million websites on the Mayan Riviera and of course all over Scubaboard and can't figure it out. Any other tips obviously very welcome as well.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

I choose to stay in a different style of accomodations (all inclusive) so that my non diving wife is happy while I dive, but I do know that there are quite a few small, intimate and inexpensive places both in the Riviera Maya and Coz. If you are looking to get certified in cave diving I recommend Dennis from Diablo Divers. While he does everything from open water reef diving through to caves, caverns and cenotes....caves are his specialty. As for Coz....I have been very happy with Jeremy from Living Underwater and will use him again this fall and I have heard great reviews about Dive With Martin, Aldora and Yellow Rose.

I just got back from there. Did full cave with Protec in Playa. Matt is a great (but tough) instructor. Did my intro cave through them last year with Nando. Also a great instructor. Protec also arranged a very pleasnt 2 day dive excursion to Cozumel.
The bull sharks are quite plentiful in Playa right now.
I have heard good things about Dennis at Diablo and met him this trip as well. Although I haven't taken any training from him he seems to run a first rate operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom