your opinion on the best Regulators for Tek diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Hog D1s are cheap, route nicely for doubles and sidemount, and come O2 ready out of the box.

Poseidons..

But pain in the a'rse to get serviced, and generally work better the deeper you go, so shallow their not so good.

So go Apex or Scubapro..

Apex are easy to fix out in the field, Scubapro are just damn good regs.

Very fond of my Apeks (DSTs for my deco bottles and ATX 200 for rec dives).
However, for deep tec dives, for my backgaz, I trust Divex (a swedish manufacturer - www.divex.se). Not fancy but very reliable.
They operate at 5 ata intermediate pressure and their 2nd stage hose has larger diameter, which makes breathing gaz less dense.

I use Scubapro MK25/G250Vs on my doubles and Dive Rite 2500s on my stage/deco bottles. Both brands have performed flawlessly for me, but I swapped out the mouthpieces for the Aqualung Comfo bite ones. I just prefer them more. Most of my dive buddies use Atomic and Dive Rite and they haven't had any problems that I know of.

How does the Sherwood SR1 stack up as a tech reg? Any thoughts on how that compares to the Apeks XTX 50/100/200?

IMO, Very well... its still a dry-sealed piston 1st stage, but with out all the bubbles leaking out as rkack points out that all other Sherwood regulators have. Check out the attached image- No need for a dry air bleed anymore-enter the hydrostatic transfer pins and diaphragm

Everyone will freak out at the "leak" from the dry piston!

BTW, most new regs include free parts for life anyway- the SR1 does not even need a record of inspection for free parts- so away with the expensive parts argument!! Even part kits on ebay (aqualung anyway) sell for full retail price! I love working on my own gear, maybe thats where the desire for access to parts comes from- its certainly not price.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 408
Hi,

When using Trimix any regulator will do a good job - TMX is so much easier to breath compared to air.

Until now I used:

SPro Mk20/G250 since 1991 - still in use
Apeks TX100 1998 - 2005 (stolen)
Apeks TX50/DS4 1999
Apeks TX50 (stageregs) 1999 - still in use
Apeks Tek 3 2007-2009 (stolen)
Atomic M1 2009 - still in use
Halcyon H75P/Halo (stageregs) 2009 - still in use

As said before every reg did and still does (if not stolen) a good job. I don't like the hose routing of the DS4 - imho it is crap.

If I have to score (performance/hose routing) my regs the result would be:

Atomic M1
Apeks Tek3/TX50/100
Scubapro Mk20(25)/G250(V) - Halcyon H75P/Halo
Apeks TX50/DST (5th port)
Apeks DS4/TX50

All regs were dived in Norwegian waters, Baltic Sea, Lakes in Germany, North Sea, Med and Red Sea.

Jm2p

Another plus for the M1: It looks cool with a Stealth Edition MC-System

38946_1288857116651_1686926174_576908_5514965_n.jpg

There is a timebomb on your rig, Mike. Its codename is 'miflex hp'.

Yeah, but he has the bolt-snap tied to the line and not the fitting so it may continue to tick a few more dives:) But if you want to stick with braid I would swap it out with a Phantom.

There is a timebomb on your rig, Mike. Its codename is 'miflex hp'.

I think that's a bit unfair... yes there have been multiple failures of the original Miflex HP hoses, but the ones I know of have been due to poor handling, and I've not heard of any in-water failures. I'm not aware of any of the 'new' design (with the protectors) failing, and there are also many of the original design that haven't been subjected to handling stress which are still going strong - I have three myself & know of 5-6 others - one of mine has been on dozens of 50-100m dives without any problems (although I'm about to swap it for a 'new' design). There is also a free retrofit kit available for the original-style hoses although I haven't tried it yet

Whether you think it worth the risk compared to a conventional hose is another issue - maybe not, since the benefits of the thin hose are relatively minor, easier packing etc - but to say they're a time bomb implies they will fail unexpectedly sooner or later, and I don't believe that's a proven fact or at any rate not necessarily more so than for any hose

$0.02

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom