your opinion on the best Regulators for Tek diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that the relatively newness of the HOG/Edge company is something to consider. But as my local dealer pointed out, the parts kits are so inexpensive that you could buy a bunch of them and stockpile them, just in case the company disappears.

I suppose it depends on support and ease of service, but I see the following brands used quite often in technical diving:
Atomic
HOG
Dive-Rite
Scubapro
Apeks
Zeagle
Oxycheq
Poseidon

I do not often see the following brands used in technical diving, although this is not a comment on their quality, nor is it a statement that they cannot be used or are not used in technical diving:
Aeris/Oceanic
Mares (did see a Dacor the other day however)
Cressi
Sherwood
Aqualung

I agree that the relatively newness of the HOG/Edge company is something to consider. But as my local dealer pointed out, the parts kits are so inexpensive that you could buy a bunch of them and stockpile them, just in case the company disappears.

As with any guideline, there are value judgments to be made along the way. If some point in a guideline is irrelevant or low priority to you, or if you find another means of satisfying the objective, then your choice is valid. The goal is to make an informed decision.

Very often, the learning process in making a purchase is more important than the purchase itself — especially when it is something that you must have confidence in to enjoy. As evidenced by the long list of regulators recommended on this board (often passionately), it is unlikely there is a "best". What we all desire is making the best selection for our purpose, pocket book, and sense of satisfaction.

Take for example deco, once upon a time they were so widespread in SEA that in Indonesia pp referred to regulators as Dacos... Getting parts was easy then but the moment "another" co took it over, things became a lot different.

These regs are perfectly good paper weights now. Companies like Apeks/Aqualung/Scubapro design and produce their own regs and are leaders in their field with the contracts, financial backing and history that they should be around for quite a lot longer.

Apeks regs pretty much use the same service kit for all their sealed regs from the FSR to the DS4 and they've been around for so long that getting them serviced 10 yrs later should not be an issue.

There's no 1 way to choose a reg but getting a reg just cus it the only thing the store is pushing is not the best way to get one.

SangP

I dive Dive Rites, easy to get service kits, easy simple to service pretty robust reg. Is it the best? Probably not, but it works.

How does the Sherwood SR1 stack up as a tech reg? Any thoughts on how that compares to the Apeks XTX 50/100/200?

I keep looking and have seen some Sherwood regs but not many. I have dove with a Sherwood Oasis for the last 15 years. Servicing is inexpensive and easy, the first stage is dry and ideal for cold water which is most of what I do. Is there any reason not to be using Sherwood for tech diving?

I use Apex XTX200s but I'd be equally happy with Scubapro Mk17 S600.

I keep looking and have seen some Sherwood regs but not many. I have dove with a Sherwood Oasis for the last 15 years. Servicing is inexpensive and easy, the first stage is dry and ideal for cold water which is most of what I do. Is there any reason not to be using Sherwood for tech diving?

Everyone will freak out at the "leak" from the dry piston!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom