your opinion on the best Regulators for Tek diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Tek" is such a broad distinction.

Personally, I use Atomic Z2's. I like the fact that Atomics are all made with the same first stage construction, just different materials. I bought unsealed because I don't dive in freezing water, and the 7 port fixed first stage suited my purposes just fine. If I had a bigger budget, I think I'd have bought M2's, though...because of the wider exhaust t, and the M2's purge style has less chance of freeflowing in a high flow cave system.

However, a sidemount diver might prefer a different system. When I tried sidemount for a bit, I really wished I had gone for a reg with a swivel first stage (I think it would've routed better).

A cold water diver is probably going to prefer a sealed first stage (less chance of freezing)

Anyways, ask 10 different "tech" divers and get 11 different opinions :D

I use mostly scubapro.
i have a couple salvo first stages and a dive rite stage reg in the mix as well

I think, if I were going to buy regulators today, I'd buy the HOG/Edge regs. They seem to be well designed and the feedback from people who are using them has been good, although their track record isn't very long yet. But I'd buy them because of a policy decision made by the company, which is that any technical diver using these regs may take the regulator maintenance and repair course from the company, and openly purchase parts kits for the regs.

When I look at the 19 regs my husband and I own between us, I seriously wish I could service them. But they are various makes and models, and many are ScubaPro, which is the hardest company for which to get parts.

Atomic Aquatics M1 with an 84" hose with, and Z2 redundant regulator is what I use...

I think, if I were going to buy regulators today, I'd buy the HOG/Edge regs. They seem to be well designed and the feedback from people who are using them has been good, although their track record isn't very long yet. But I'd buy them because of a policy decision made by the company, which is that any technical diver using these regs may take the regulator maintenance and repair course from the company, and openly purchase parts kits for the regs.

When I look at the 19 regs my husband and I own between us, I seriously wish I could service them. But they are various makes and models, and many are ScubaPro, which is the hardest company for which to get parts.

you can find them all over ebay

I just posted a similar answer on another thread, but here goes... If you're diving in an overhead condition and/or a decompression situation a number of regulators may suit your purpose. The best regulator is the brand/model in-which you have the most confidence. After diving with a particular type of regulator over a period of time, your confidence builds in it and you're quick to recommend a similar model to others. Judging by the number of different regulators that have been recommended to-date, obviously a number of brands and models are acceptable.

Personally, I have owned several types of regulators and currently have settled on Apeks. I own a number of ATX100s and XTX200s and they have yet to let me down. I dive in waters as cold as 30 degrees and often at depths over 300'. The Apeks has yet to free-flow in any of these conditions.

I don't know what "tek" diving is but....

Any regulator that breaths good, affordable and most importantly one you can get parts for yourself, after you have 10+ laying around you are not going to want to shell out for servicing and 02 cleaning by shops unless your pockets are lined with gold.

Don't get hung up on the "but this one is the best breather" or "my instructor says scuba pro is the best"

Think simple and reliable

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom