Your most expensive dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Either the one where my wife fell in love with diving or my last one where we were ran over by a freighter losing the boat, all gear and a business.
Both are seriously big ticket, one was worth the price of admission.

:eek:

Probably the one where the back came off a camera housing and flooding the Nikon D7100 and Tokina lens, and spending a miserable 72m deep dive (add trimix cost to this too) and extremely angry with myself :mad:

My most expensive dives to date was the most recent trip to Florida. Planned on doing 22 cave dives and ended up only being able to do 8. Cost of flights, car rental, gas fills and house we rented means each dive was about $800... COVID resulted in British Airways changing our flights to an earlier return via Dublin instead of direct as we had booked and paid for. Oh, and add to that the £160 taxi trip from Heathrow to Gatwick so we could pick up the car (and house keys that were in the car...)

Other than that the time one of my buddies introduced my wife to the delights of diving on a rebreather. That ended up in two brand new RedBares being purchased. Still. once we can get the crossover from OC Cave to CCR Cave completed I reckon that will have been worth it.

My most expensive dives to date was the most recent trip to Florida. Planned on doing 22 cave dives and ended up only being able to do 8. Cost of flights, car rental, gas fills and house we rented means each dive was about $800... COVID resulted in British Airways changing our flights to an earlier return via Dublin instead of direct as we had booked and paid for. Oh, and add to that the £160 taxi trip from Heathrow to Gatwick so we could pick up the car (and house keys that were in the car...)

Other than that the time one of my buddies introduced my wife to the delights of diving on a rebreather. That ended up in two brand new RedBares being purchased. Still. once we can get the crossover from OC Cave to CCR Cave completed I reckon that will have been worth it.

How is the RedBare?

How is the RedBare?
In a word...Awesome. I don't have much to compare it with to be fair but the thing is bulletproof. The only time I have missed a dive is 1) Because I forgot my drysuit at home (thought I had packed it in the truck...) and 2) Because I did not charge the unit properly the night before and had to sit out the first dive while it was charging.

I have also had an O2 cell fail on me and it took about 2 mins to get a new one sorted and installed. Can't really blame that on the unit though.

Other than that absolutely ZERO issues and it is great to have two independent computers with completely independent data paths as well as a CO2 monitor. The HUD is simple and intuitive as well. If you haven't had a go yet I can highly recommend getting into the water on a try-dive with one.

In a word...Awesome. I don't have much to compare it with to be fair but the thing is bulletproof. The only time I have missed a dive is 1) Because I forgot my drysuit at home (thought I had packed it in the truck...) and 2) Because I did not charge the unit properly the night before and had to sit out the first dive while it was charging.

I have also had an O2 cell fail on me and it took about 2 mins to get a new one sorted and installed. Can't really blame that on the unit though.

Other than that absolutely ZERO issues and it is great to have two independent computers with completely independent data paths as well as a CO2 monitor. The HUD is simple and intuitive as well. If you haven't had a go yet I can highly recommend getting into the water on a try-dive with one.

Oh nice. That's great to hear some real life experience with it. I did a try dive at a show in Coventry in February and it was a great experience. Thanks to that I got bitten by the CCR bug and I actually switched from OC to CC because of COVID. It was a choice between the RedBare, a JJ and the XCCR. I chose the XCCR in the end but I'll fondly think of the RedBare as the one that started me down this route.

In 2012, my 2-tank dive on Lake Erie cost me somewhere north of $50k. I bought a new truck the day before when we got blown out....

Back
Top Bottom