Your most expensive dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stuff like that makes me happy to dive with my $130 Intova Nova HD.
and that was the second camera I have flooded ... first time was a bit cheaper :) cheaper lens, cheaper camera and could service the housing - only a $2,000 dive.

I am way more careful about double checking everything EVERY time!

I had never flooded an expensive camera until a friend of mine tried to convince me that leaving my housing closed overnight would flatten the back O-ring. To appease her, I left the latches loose on my Ikelite housing. The next morning I clipped it off and hung it over the side of the boat but forgot to close the latches. When I got in the water and grabbed the housing it felt a lot heavier than usual. Fortunately, insurance replaced the housing, camera, and lens but it was a lesson learned.

Mine was last year when my wife surprised me with a whale shark dive at the Georgia aquarium for my birthday. $300 or $399 or something like that plus a weekend in Hotlanta; and of course had to buy the video and obligatory magnets for the refrigerator. It was way cool, though, because it was just me and a guy getting his PADI "whale shark specialty".

For me it was flooding the battery one of my Ikelite strobes. I believe it cost me about $230 / €200. Insurance refused to replace anything unfortunately.

I nearly flooded my camera once but discovered there was water in the housing just in time.

Mine was in Jupiter, FL, in January earlier this year for a lemon shark dive with Jupiter Dive Center. I had changed out my transmitters battery the night before knowing that on my last dive, I was getting a low battery warning. Made it all the way through our awesome dive at Lemon Drop (love the name) and was making my safety stop when my T1 fizzed out. Got home later that night and popped the cap open on the transmitter and found several drops of water - toast. $300 for a new transmitter plus the dives, around $400 for me that day. This was an expensive lesson around making sure that battery caps are properly tightened after battery changes and O-rings religiously inspected/lubed during each battery swap.

I just realized as I was putting my gear away that my last dive is my most expensive dive. We had crazy swell and wind on entry which threw me a bit everywhere. Apparently I ended up smashing my gopro everywhere. Gopro is fine, but I lost my lens filter kit from backscatter :( so that’s a $300US ( aprox $6000000 cdn) down the St-Lawrence river.

Mine was in Jupiter, FL, in January earlier this year for a lemon shark dive with Jupiter Dive Center. I had changed out my transmitters battery the night before knowing that on my last dive, I was getting a low battery warning. Made it all the way through our awesome dive at Lemon Drop (love the name) and was making my safety stop when my T1 fizzed out. Got home later that night and popped the cap open on the transmitter and found several drops of water - toast. $300 for a new transmitter plus the dives, around $400 for me that day. This was an expensive lesson around making sure that battery caps are properly tightened after battery changes and O-rings religiously inspected/lubed during each battery swap.
If it was an Oceanics/Huish, they still replace the PPS transmitters for $120
Service - Oceanic Worldwide
Through the Huish repair portal
Return Merchandise Authorization | Huish Outdoors - 1540 North 2200 West | Salt Lake City UT 84116 US
I have had very good luck with Huish service, a 7+ year old PPS transmitter, a 10+ year old Pro Plus 2 computer, an Oceanic compass module.

On a separate note, I have had very good service from Shearwater. I had both a repair, and then a replacement of my Teric. I do not own a Shearwater branded transmitter, just 3 Oceanic branded transmitters.
DIVE-Tronix, LLC
Richard Morton
+1-858-775-4099
Snohomish, WA, USA
usaservice@shearwater.com
DiveTronix

Mine wast last July, while starting my mCCR air deco diluent training with my brand new rebreather. Rig + fees = Mega OUCH ! :eek:

But hell, I do love diving that rig. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom