Your max depth!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That comment reminded me of an article I read about deaths diving the Andrea Doria. The skipper who had to pull the bodies out was quoted as saying (I paraphrase): "They say diving is not a competitive sport. But they're wrong."

For some, diving's a competitive sport, for sure. Proving oneself, gaining recognition, thrill-seeking, and tempting fate may also be motivations for some divers.

This thread, as disarming and unassuming as it is, has been interesting because the true underlying motivations have occasionally been revealed.

I've found those motivations fascinating, even instructive. :)

Dave C

126' on air after Punta Sur, Cozumel

One look at me and I don't fit the description to dive deep. :D That is, according to an uninformed and ignorant source. :D . As the story goes, I walked up to a man gearing up at the Aldora pier in Cozumel a couple of years ago and merely,asked who he was diving with that day. I thought perhaps we were diving with the same dive op, BlueXTSEA Diving which also picks up divers at the pier. He looked up at me and his first comment was "I am diving deep today, you wouldn't be diving with me". Then he went on to say he was diving with Aldora. When I said I was diving with BlueXTSea diving he just made a funny face. :rolleyes: Needless to say, I believe this guy was a bit full of himself. No, I don't dive deep, and this guy could have been going to a deep depth as in perhaps a technical type dive, but, the way he looked at me and the tone in his voice was rude. Oh well, rude is as rude does. For the record, I have been diving to 128 feet, Devils Throat/Punta Sur, twice. Both dives were guided by Divemaster Pedro Pablo, one of THE most qualified and professional divemasters in Cozumel. Thanks Pedro and Blue XT Sea diving. SS

Last edited:
Just got below 100 for the first time...121 in blackout conditions during an altitude dive (3200 feet-ish)

I will dive as deep as my training and confidence will let me! I am not opposed to 300-400 feet, but I sure as hell ain't ready for it! :)

Been down to 80-100ft quite a few times. 105ft on air.

Reallly like the feeling of additional atmospheric pressure and the surealist world of a limited visible EM spectum but unfortunately get pretty narked.

I'd like to explore a little deeper if my body can handle it, but probably not past rec diving limits. Past 88ft must inch down to check nark status, sometimes it's too strong - sometimes it's awesome! ;-).

Went to 56 ffw to see the bus at the bottom of Lake Mohave. Dont really have any desire to dive deeper than 100-110ft. Figure I have a life time worth of stuff to check out above that.

That comment reminded me of an article I read about deaths diving the Andrea Doria. The skipper who had to pull the bodies out was quoted as saying (I paraphrase): "They say diving is not a competitive sport. But they're wrong."

That is a sobering quote for sure.

Some people are "type A" and competitive in everything. Thank God I'm not (but I thank God for those that are - they push the envelope that benefits all).

I'm convinced that I enjoy the diving experience more than many competitive types because I can "stop and smell the roses" (or see the coral) so to speak, rather than get bored because there isn't a record to break or something to accomplish on every dive.

Going deep is so easy when things go well. Did eighteen drift dives on Nitrox in west palm beach in 80 to 100 ft of water.

What really matters is if you have a crisis at depth and stayed calm to fix it without bolting.

One look at me and I don't fit the description .... When I said I was diving with BlueXTSea diving he just made a funny face. :rolleyes: Needless to say, I believe this guy was a bit full of himself... Oh well, rude is as rude does. For the record, I have been diving to 128 feet, Devils Throat/Punta Sur, twice. Both dives were guided by Divemaster Pedro Pablo, one of THE most qualified and professional divemasters in Cozumel. Thanks Pedro and Blue XT Sea diving. SS

We dove with Blue XT last January and had Pedro Pablo as our divemaster - he is great. As relatively new divers (less than 50 dives), he did not focus on depth but instead on perfecting buoyancy skills. He really helped us perfect our diving skills - to slow down, conserve air and enjoy the dive. It was great, we went deep, shallow, dove at night and enjoyed many, many pass throughs (because we love them and requested it – Blue XT makes an effort to please) and saw everything we hoped for including turtles, turtles, turtles (maybe I asked to see them?) sharks, eagle rays, octopus, the list just goes on. We didn’t dive Devils Throat (hope to next time) but went to Columbia Deep which was an awesome dive. We also dove Columbia Shallows the year before with Jorge, another great divemaster at Blue Angel dive shop, which is serious is proof you don’t need to dive deep to experience an incredible dive. After that trip we went to Bonaire and dove deeper - but our best dives there were the shallow ones (frog fish, sea horses, incredible sponges in so many colors I couldn't believe it) so we learned deep isn't always better unless there is a reason to go there. I think you need to forget about how deep you go when looking for a great dive.and just consider what the dive has to offer. My favorite dive has been at less than 20 feet – Dos Ojos Cenote in the Rivera Maya – absolutely incredible.

Back
Top Bottom