Your Favorite Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My favorites are:
Shallow: Dalila & the wall at San Fransisco
Deep: Columbia

Right now, my favorite dive sites might be Barracuda and San Juan. Its that time of year that you should get to see Eagle Rays. For me, seeing a squadron of Eagle Rays is one of my favorite sights.
Other times of the year, it could be just about any dive site in Cozumel.

I agree this was the most wonderful thing I ever seen, 15-20 eagle rays just drifting in the current on the edge of the reef.
I could not take my eyes off them, well only long enough to check my computer and air. This was not my first dive in Coz but my first visit to barracuda and it won't be my last. Im hooked Barracuda is a little quick but a must for any advanced diver. DM.

My favorite Coz reef tends to whichever one I am diving at the time, but if every trip went to Colombia Shallows, I wouldn't gripe. One thing, though; as an individual diver, you won't be able to dictate which sites you dive. Either the op will be on a set schedule (only a few of them, and not DWM) or it will be decided by consensus of the divers aboard with the DM making the final call. That said, I have usually found my fellow divers to be most accommodating if there is a particular reef I want to go to.

The good news is that the dives around Cozumel rarely disappoint no matter which site(s) you visit. If you miss going to a particular site, that's all the more reason to go back!

I too love that reef. Its great for taking pictures but most poo poo it due to its depth. Always full of life and not much pressure on the reef.

My top have to be Maracaibo, Columumbia Deep and San Juan

I think today was one of my favorite combos. Maricibo followed by Columbia shallows. Although really enjoyed the eagle rays up north earlier this week.

For a deeper dive, the Santa Rosa Wall. It's just awesome to look up at the towering coral heads and fly along beside them on the current. I did this dive as part of my AOW, so it's not out of reach for the OP.
But for flora and fauna, any of the shallower dives are totally spectacular as well. Often we see more species on the shallow dives.
Heading back in 2 weeks and can't wait!:D

I have to put in my vote for Columbia Shallows. I enjoy the marine life and that site was so abundant I didn't want to come up. Well... who wants to come up from any site? The fish there also seemed to stay put and not hide as much which made for even better watching.

Depth is over rated, Columbia Shallows is definately at the top; bring a shovel if you want to go deeper than 30', but the place is teeming with life, nice mix of juvies and adults, lots of light and macro opportunites for the photographer, and maximum bottom time is well achived!! 1 hour plus is not uncommon. The best "second dive" EVER!!

Chun Chacaab for the advanced diver is amazing; Palancar Bricks, Caves, Gardens and Horseshoe, Columbia Deep, Cathedral, San Francisco, Santa Rosa wall, Paso del Cedral (Cedral Pass), Paradise...oh heck, just suite up and jump in!!!

I really liked Palancar Horseshoe it was like diving between mini mountains of coral. Also really liked doing Columbia Deep followed by Columbia shallows as a second dive.

Gaffer

ditto, Palacar Bricks and Horseshoe area are gorgeous, just like Columbia Deep. Best dives in Cozumel by far if you want to see gorgeous reef structure and feel like you are floating between mountains. :D

shallow dives, Chankanaab Balones used to be great, haven't done it recently.

Back
Top Bottom