Your Experience with Scuba Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From my profile:

When I was a boy, way back when, one of my favorite TV shows was SEA HUNT, starring Loyd Bridges. In 1962, at the age of eight, I collected trading stamps (anybody remember those?) to get my first set of Voit snorkeling gear and taught myself how to snorkel. Three years later (1965), a friend of my parents (Harold) learned of my fascination with diving and, during one of our visits to his home, he took me out to his garage and showed me a couple of Aqualung double hose rigs that he'd had for a few years. He had been a Navy Frogman in the 1950s and had brought the rigs home with him. I drooled over the rigs and fingered the two hose regulators (DA Aquamaster). He asked me if I wanted to buy one but I didn't have any money. Then he offered to give me the rig if I would cut and trim the grass on his property for the summer.

Every Saturday, I would spend the day working, then go into the garage to look at the Aqualung rig. Then, two weeks before our agreed upon time was up, the rig disappeared from the garage. I asked Harold where it was and he wouldn't tell me. He just told me not to worry about it.

Two weeks later, I finished cutting and trimming his property and went in to close the deal. There, in his kitchen, was the rig. The regulator had been serviced and looked like new. The tank, however, was not the one I had contracted for. In its place was a US Divers 72 that was only a year old. Over in a corner was the other rig. It, too had been refurbished. Although we had not discussed it previously, Harold was including SCUBA instruction in our deal.

Harold took me on a couple of shallow dives in the river then, over the winter, we went over the "head work" of diving. I learned the science of SCUBA, how to read the Navy dive tables, safety procedures, equipment maintenance, etc. In the spring, we went out to the river and I began to learn the skills I would need to dive safely: Emergency ascents, buddy breathing, how to clear the mouthpiece of a two hose regulator, calculating air consumption and timing my dives (we had no SPGs), using the J-valve on my tank, etc.

Harold was not a diving instructor, nor was he certified himself. He taught me what he had learned in the Navy and we filled our tanks from his compressor. I dove with him and some of his buddies for the next eleven years. Then, in 1976, Harold suffered a heart attack and died suddenly. Before I had an opportunity to speak to his widow about his equipment, she disposed of it. Without that compressor, I could not fill my tank.

That same year, I learned of a new dive shop that was opening in my town and went right in to sign up for the certification course. I told the shop owner of my experience and, instead of the usual three week course, he just had me take the written test, then had me go out with his next class to have me demonstrate my skills. After a weekend of diving, he gave me my first C-card.

At a conference in Maui. Had a day to kill and did the discover scuba. Had been snorkeling for 30 years. Hour in the pool. Then a shore dive. I felt at home right away. Was awesome. Wound up swimming with some large sea turtles.

I didn't have the money or a dive shop nearby so I built a hookah with a lawn mower motor, a diaphragm compressor and PVC floats that also acted as an air reservoir. Shop air hose down to a check valve on my back and a 2nd hand 2nd stage. I could go to 50 feet if I breathed slow and steady.

My first dive after my '05 certification was at Vortex Spring, FL. ('06). Couldn't get a buddy so I went SOLO! Argh! It was a boring dive. My tank slipped. I went down the 50+ feet to the mouth of the little cavern and back up the rope after about 3 mins. more of boredom and spent the rest of the hour or so at 20 feet looking at rocks and boring fish. Also took a well needed pee, as I was wearing only the farmer john top. I'm obviously not a fresh water guy. Did my square tables profile based on 50+ feet depth and was very concerned that I may get DCS. Kept checking my joints for pains and arms for red rashes. Didn't dare take a hot shower. Then I bought the used wetsuit I had just rented from them (still in use), for which they didn't even deduct the $12 rental cost from the purchase price. Man that was so long ago. Really though, it was a good feeling that I had accomplished something, and I started to think of myself as a real diver. It's probably a bit uneasy for anyone gearing up near others who consider everything old hat & routine. You don't want to do anything that looks stupid. We must all remember that first time divers probably have such thoughts.

This is me just out of the waters of Great South bay, long Island . NY... I'm like 13 and diving solo...:shocked2::shakehead: No one would train me because you needed to be 15...

Jim...

Attachments

• try me 015.jpg
    try me 015.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
First open water dives in La Jolla Cove, San Diego. NASDS Course with 5 open water dives as a minimum for basic certification.

Great course, great diving, been at it ever since.

This is my wife's story of learning to dive the first time, She read Jewels story and wanted to share hers....

It was October of 1982 south Florida on our honeymoon...:wink: We ( My best man and his girl friend and wife & I ) had spent the day out at the dropzone in homestead... The guys skydiving and the girls watching and feeding us food and beer.... We had come up with the great Idea to go diving the next day at Penn Camp, Key Largo.... Now I had been diving since I was 12 and my buddy was a very experienced diver... His girlfriend had a c-card... We just need to train my wife real fast...:wink: So we stop at the store and got a gallon of white wine and some steaks to barbecue... Training would start after dinner...

We told her not to worry, She would be fine.... So after getting her dressed in scuba gear, we put her in the pool and showed her how to clear her mask and use the regulator... About 20 minutes maybe a few more... We tell her to start swimming around the pool and We would be at the bottom of the pool drinking wine and watching her... Two hours later she was ready for open water....

We drove down to key largo and rented a boat at penn camp to head out to find the "Christ statue" ... Seas were 2 to 4 feet and we were in a 18 foot whaler.... So we can't find the frick'n statue so we just find a reef in about 30' of water... We get her dressed in a BC and a single 80 and I get on a set of steel 72 doubles no bc... I get her in the water and tell her to hold on to the rope on the rear cleat and I'd be there in a few seconds... I back up and flop in backwards and swim over to her.... SHE is clawing at the boat to get back in.... I tell her it going to be fun, She's not buying it...

So we swim over to the ladder and I take her fins... She can't climb the ladder... I take her weight belt and throw it over my shoulder... She can't get out... The boat's just moving to much... I take her tank off her.... Now I got Her, Fins, weight belt and tank... She finally gets up the ladder and starts to dry her hair as I'm trying not to drown with all this gear and no flotation.... She comes back and gets her gear into the boat and I head down to dive with my friend... So now my wife is sea sick from sitting in the boat for a hour and a half going up and down with the swells.... She is green but alive... She tells me she will never ever scuba dive with me again.... I don't understand why... She just needs more practice....

Fast forward 28 yrs and we are on my friends boat down in key largo... The water is clear and like a sheet of glass... She's getting a tan while we dive... When we get back on the boat, She tell us she whats to try diving again.... BUT, His wife will train her and me and my brother from another mother are not aloud to say one word to her during training.... " We can't understand why" but we agree.... She is now a very good safe diver and loves it...

I and my friend are not as STUPID and RECKLESS as we were 20 + years ago.... Some how we made it to our 50's.... Be safe....

Jim....

Last edited:
We were staying on an island in the Great Barrier Reef, Heron Island. The wife signs us up for intro to scuba as a couple. She hates it, claustrophobic, mask leaking, but is happy she tried it. I loved it, came home and got certified. The Great Barrier Reef dive was amazing, and to this day was one of the best dives ever! We saw a huge turtle, rays, cuttle fish, lots and lots of reef fish, and stunningly beautiful coral formations. The DM tapped his watch, time to surface. Felt like only few minutes but was actually 45 minutes. I didn't want the dive to end. I guess that's why I keep trying to dive every chance I get.

Back in the early 60s we had one kit to share. The only "instruction" we received was not to hold our breath. Sharing a single kit meant short shallow dives since air fills were difficult to obtain in the Midwest back then. 7-8 years later I was diving here on Catalina in salt water and haven't stopped yet.

No special story. Wanted to dive when I was visiting Kiva Dunes at the "down Under" scuba shop after I read about a rum shipwreck in a brochure. I called Down Under scuba and decided I didn't want to spend that much of my vacation time getting trained and I would make it a point to do it when I got back home in Indiana. I did my OW certification at France Park in Logansport via Divers Supply Indy. Hi Dave and Robin! I will say I took notice that Dave and Robin, my two dive instructors, were professional as well as passionate about ensuring that we did everything right as well as with confidence. I was certified on November 11th, 2012 with a water surface temp. Of 52 deg. And 20-25 ft. Vis. 7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves and a walk-in beach. That will make you stop and take a couple of deep breaths before you get chest deep. Stay wet! Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom