Your dive experiences after PFO/ASD closure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koyote1111

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm writing in hopes of getting feedback from others who have continued diving after having a PFO or PFO/ASD closure. Two weeks ago, I had the surgery and will be released to dive in 3-6 months. In checking out of the hospital, the echo showed all was good. I will have a TEE at month 3 to ensure that the procedure was indeed successful.

I was one of those divers who experienced an "underserved/unexplained" hit - Type II DCS. Later discovered that I had a more significant sized PFO...however upon checkout also found that it was also diagnosed as ASD.

I'm curious about those who are diving following the procedure...how it's going and what (if any) additional safety precautions they may be taking.

I am certified at the Divemaster level and would also appreciate input regarding how realistic it might be for me to pursue further training...perhaps IDC or technical. The dive shop that I was affiliated with somewhat distanced themselves from me following the incident...not sure why, but that felt difficult. I would probably opt to do further training at another facility.

Thanks so much!

Found your post through google search on diving post PFO closures. I took a nasty DCSII hit after a 130' table SurD02 dive, it was my first time in 16 years of diving. I completed a table 6 at the job site, took some time off, and took a second hit on a similar table immediately upon return to diving. We checked for a PFO and bingo!

I just got the results today from the bubble echo 14 weeks post PFO closure. It checked out good so next it's off to the hyperbaric doc for a dive physical then it's hopefully back to work. I'm a commercial diver and will voluntarily avoid SurD02 dives, and mixed gas, for at least 6 months out post procedure. However, shallow non deco dives with a light work load; ie. no chipping concrete for 6hrs etc., should be fine as I ease back into it. I'll check back on this post later and post my progress. Make sure to do the same and let me know of your progress. BTW. Dr Douglas Ebersole has a study you should enroll in if you have not already.

~Cheers

Hi Spudwrench...

Thanks so much for sharing. I have just returned to diving after closure in June. Have done 3 pretty conservative dives. Am planning to ease my way back into things so that I can regain confidence with my body. I am enrolled in the DAN study :). One positive by-product of the surgery is that I have not experienced any headaches since I had the closure surgery. In the past several years, headaches had been a weekly part of my life with usually one or two migraines a month. Am sure hoping that things will remain this way!

I wish you much luck in returning to your work as a commercial diver! As for me, I'm looking forward to doing a lot of diving for fun and then evaluating what or if I might like to pursue further training.

Thanks so much for posting!

I have a good friend who experienced several episodes of "niggles" after technical dives -- IIRC, she also had some skin bends. Nothing since the PFO closure. She continues with an active schedule of recreational and technical diving, no symptoms.

I'm pretty sure you've read other posts from me, but I had my closure procedure with Dr. Ebersole about 4 years ago now and I'm probably about due to post an update. I've done literally hundreds of dives since then, most on air and most below a hundred feet, right up to my computer (Oceanic VT3) limits with no problems. That said, I had one relatively minor skin bends hit (no chamber time, but O2 helped) last month during the second week of consecutive dive days with multiple dives. Interestingly, these dives were done on Nitrox, but it was also my first time on a scooter so my thought is that I was probably changing depth more often than I realized (and since my computer was set for 30 second sampling there really was no way to know). Bottom line: Without the closure I'd probably be dead; with it, I dive pretty much like everyone else, but I still need to stay on the conservative side.

Tomorrow, we're hosting a live chat with Dr. Petar Denoble from DAN who is also working with Dr Ebersole on the PFO study that DAN has been conducting for a few years now. It would be a good time for anyone interested in asking direct questions to Dr. Denoble.

Tomorrow, we're hosting a live chat with Dr. Petar Denoble from DAN who is also working with Dr Ebersole on the PFO study that DAN has been conducting for a few years now. It would be a good time for anyone interested in asking direct questions to Dr. Denoble.

I'm really sorry I'm going to miss this since I'll be on a plane right at that time. I do know that my closure procedure is the only reason I'm able to continue diving.

The complete transcript will be posted on the SB Homepage shortly after the conclusion of the chat. :)

Howard:

What time tomorrow? I'd love to listen in on the discussion. I probably won't be back on the forum so email me

Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom