Your deepest depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as Ive heard, people have been diving well over 100 METERS on air for a while while, but the Guiness Book of records has declined recording more depth records, because they dont want any liability in case people who try to break them die?

If that information is correct, Id say it says a bit about "going deep just to go deep"

spankey:
well I should be doing 1 or 2, 50 to 55 MFW @ 1460m ALT at Wondergat in South Africa this weekend. Will let you know how it goes.
Sounds like fun. Also reminds me i should do the altitude diver specialty, since I live close to 1000 feet above sea level..
Big freshwater lakes can have awsome visibility :)

big diver:
my friend just died at 200ft doing a bounce dive my personal best is 150 feet 25min.

There is a big difference between a single tank recreational diver doing a bounce to 200 and a 200 ft dive done by someone who is trained and equiped for it.

These days, diving down to 300 ft or so is pretty common and 200ish is really common. The training, equipment and gasses needed to do it at "reasonable" risk levels are all readily available. There are of course divers diving well below 300 ft but the logistics start getting pretty crazy.

MikeFerrara:
... There are of course divers diving well below 300 ft but the logistics start getting pretty crazy.
No joke! The dollars per minute of bottom time curve goes essentially asymptotic at 1000'. My budget ends at about 250 :)
Rick

Rick Murchison:
No joke! The dollars per minute of bottom time curve goes essentially asymptotic at 1000'. My budget ends at about 250 :)
Rick

There is the budget and the work. Shallower is less expensive and easier.

To me, the how and why is a lot more interesting than the "how deep" which is why I generally don't say what my deepest is on these kinds of threads. "How deep" is just a number that leaves out all the intersting aspects of the dive.

Rick Murchison:
Rick
MikeFerrara:
There are of course divers diving well below 300 ft but the logistics start getting pretty crazy.

THE TWILIGHT ZONE: THE POTENTIAL, PROBLEMS, AND THEORY BEHIND USING MIXED GAS, SURFACE-BASED SCUBA FOR RESEARCH DIVING BETWEEN 200 AND 500 Feet. (Sharkey & Pyle, 1992)

USING TRIMIX TO OPTIMIZE DECOMPRESSION, NARCOSIS AND COST

The characteristics of the available mixes for deep diving can be illustrated with dive profiles prepared for the Wakulla Springs Project using the Hamilton Research DCAP computational program (Stone, William, 1991: "The Case for HELIOX,” aquaCorps Journal, V3 N1, Sport Diver Publishing Group, Dania Beach, FL, USA). These profiles are 300 foot dives with either a 20 minute or 80 minute working phase for each of three different breathing mixes containing 14% oxygen. The mixes are NITROX-14, TRIMIX-14/34 (34% helium and the remaining 52% nitrogen) and HELIOX-14. Each profile planned for decompression inside a dry bell with air as a decompression mix from 60 to 40 feet and pure oxygen from 30 feet to the surface.

Runtime Comparisons for 300 foot dives
Bottom Mix.....20 minute.....80 minute
NITROX-14........174...........818
TRIMIX-14/34.....165...........698
HELIOX-14........163...........668

The table shows that for the 20 minute dives the runtime reduction in favor of HELIOX was only about 5%, but that for the 80 minute dives the reduction was a significant 18%. As illustrated in Figure 3, Helium mixes of up to 50% are increasingly advantageous for longer dives in the 300-foot range. This is because helium more rapidly approaches saturation level and out-gasses quickly. When helium is used for shorter dives, it yields little decompression advantage. However, the more helium in the mix the less narcosis. HELIOX-14 results in no narcosis, while for a 300-foot dive NITROX-14 has an unacceptable END of 325 feet and TRIMIX-14/34 has an END of about 200 feet that may be barely acceptable for some divers.

All things being equal HELIOX-14 is the mix of choice from a decompression and narcosis perspective. Still, helium is expensive. A K-bottle’s cost is $75 and that translates to $55 of helium for a 20 minute HELIOX-14 dive and $215 for an 80 minute HELIOX-14 dive contrasted with $25 and $85 for the TRIMIX-14/34 dives. The more helium the less narcosis and the higher the cost. It becomes a question of how much sobriety can you afford?

An additional advantage to TRIMIX is that preparing it in the field is easier than HELIOX. To fill a scuba cylinder with HELIOX, pure oxygen and helium must be combined. This requires a special booster pump to top off scuba cylinders to the desired pressure, and introduces the risk of exposing various components of the system to high pressure pure oxygen. TRIMIX, can be easily generated in the field. To brew TRIMIX-10/50 (10% oxygen, 50% helium and 40% nitrogen) all one need do is decant about 1500 PSI of helium into an empty aluminum cylinder and top it off with air from a standard air compressor. It should be noted that the ideal gas laws do not rigorously apply at the high pressures in a scuba cylinder, so slightly more than 1500 PSI of helium is actually required. Proper numbers, very accurate gauges, gas analysis equipment and slow, cool, fills are essential.

Thalassamania:

THE TWILIGHT ZONE: THE POTENTIAL, PROBLEMS, AND THEORY BEHIND USING MIXED GAS, SURFACE-BASED SCUBA FOR RESEARCH DIVING BETWEEN 200 AND 500 Feet. (Sharkey & Pyle, 1992)

USING TRIMIX TO OPTIMIZE DECOMPRESSION, NARCOSIS AND COST

The characteristics of the available mixes for deep diving can be illustrated with dive profiles prepared for the Wakulla Springs Project using the Hamilton Research DCAP computational program (Stone, William, 1991: "The Case for HELIOX,” aquaCorps Journal, V3 N1, Sport Diver Publishing Group, Dania Beach, FL, USA). These profiles are 300 foot dives with either a 20 minute or 80 minute working phase for each of three different breathing mixes containing 14% oxygen. The mixes are NITROX-14, TRIMIX-14/34 (34% helium and the remaining 52% nitrogen) and HELIOX-14. Each profile planned for decompression inside a dry bell with air as a decompression mix from 60 to 40 feet and pure oxygen from 30 feet to the surface.

Runtime Comparisons for 300 foot dives
Bottom Mix.....20 minute.....80 minute
NITROX-14........174...........818
TRIMIX-14/34.....165...........698
HELIOX-14........163...........668

The table shows that for the 20 minute dives the runtime reduction in favor of HELIOX was only about 5%, but that for the 80 minute dives the reduction was a significant 18%. As illustrated in Figure 3, Helium mixes of up to 50% are increasingly advantageous for longer dives in the 300-foot range. This is because helium more rapidly approaches saturation level and out-gasses quickly. When helium is used for shorter dives, it yields little decompression advantage. However, the more helium in the mix the less narcosis. HELIOX-14 results in no narcosis, while for a 300-foot dive NITROX-14 has an unacceptable END of 325 feet and TRIMIX-14/34 has an END of about 200 feet that may be barely acceptable for some divers.

All things being equal HELIOX-14 is the mix of choice from a decompression and narcosis perspective. Still, helium is expensive. A K-bottle’s cost is $75 and that translates to $55 of helium for a 20 minute HELIOX-14 dive and $215 for an 80 minute HELIOX-14 dive contrasted with $25 and $85 for the TRIMIX-14/34 dives. The more helium the less narcosis and the higher the cost. It becomes a question of how much sobriety can you afford?

An additional advantage to TRIMIX is that preparing it in the field is easier than HELIOX. To fill a scuba cylinder with HELIOX, pure oxygen and helium must be combined. This requires a special booster pump to top off scuba cylinders to the desired pressure, and introduces the risk of exposing various components of the system to high pressure pure oxygen. TRIMIX, can be easily generated in the field. To brew TRIMIX-10/50 (10% oxygen, 50% helium and 40% nitrogen) all one need do is decant about 1500 PSI of helium into an empty aluminum cylinder and top it off with air from a standard air compressor. It should be noted that the ideal gas laws do not rigorously apply at the high pressures in a scuba cylinder, so slightly more than 1500 PSI of helium is actually required. Proper numbers, very accurate gauges, gas analysis equipment and slow, cool, fills are essential.
Thanks for that article, Thalassamania.
Though the only mention of dollars in it has to do with the price of gas, the price of the gas for dives over 300' is barely measurable against the rest of the logistics package to make such dives reasonabley safe and feasible. For just one example, in the 300' dives cited, "Each profile planned for decompression inside a dry bell with air as a decompression mix from 60 to 40 feet and pure oxygen from 30 feet to the surface." Now if you're making many, many dives at the same site and have a dry chamber and its associated plumbing and handling equipment on/in a pretty permanent structure - as is the case at Wakulla, I gather - the cost could be amortized over many many dives and the price of gas may be a factor, but for most places the procurement, setup and use of a dry bell dwarfs gas price considerations. Cylinder staging and other support divers aren't mentioned, but they are there... the list goes on.
Certainly one can go very deep on the cheap (well, comparatively); the chances of returning just drop along with the dollars spent on support.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Certainly one can go very deep on the cheap (well, comparatively); the chances of returning just drop along with the dollars spent on support.
Rick
That's why, for those sorts of dives, I'd rather use an OMADS or small sub when possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom