Your deepest depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Equating "personal best" with deepest air dive is pretty stupid. I watched Hal Watts take an extremely obese guy (like 100 lbs over weight) on air to 300 feet on a drift dive in the Ocean. I'm sure the student felt is was his "personal best", I was actually pretty impressed that the guy didn't die.

Isn't wanting to go deep a reason? It's very American and male to want to go deep. Competitive drive. kk

dumpsterDiver:
Equating "personal best" with deepest air dive is pretty stupid. I watched Hal Watts take an extremely obese guy (like 100 lbs over weight) on air to 300 feet on a drift dive in the Ocean. I'm sure the student felt is was his "personal best", I was actually pretty impressed that the guy didn't die.

91m on air? I'm working that out at a partial pressure of 2.11.. I'm impressed that *both* of them didn't die or at least suffer major cns o2 toxicity....

Kevin K:
Isn't wanting to go deep a reason? It's very American and male to want to go deep. Competitive drive. kk

when you look at the track record of people trying to go deep for the sake of going deep, there are an awful lot of bodies.

lamont:
when you look at the track record of people trying to go deep for the sake of going deep, there are an awful lot of bodies.
As with "fast to go fast" and "high to go high" and "far to go far" etc, etc, ad nauseum.
Operating along the edge of capability, be it personal, biological, physical (as in physics)... means there's a better chance of stepping over and falling into the abyss. Just the way things are.
Whether it's stupid to go there or not has a lot to do with "fences" and "guard rails" and "safety lines" - limits and training and escape plans.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
As with "fast to go fast" and "high to go high" and "far to go far" etc, etc, ad nauseum.
Operating along the edge of capability, be it personal, biological, physical (as in physics)... means there's a better chance of stepping over and falling into the abyss. Just the way things are.
Whether it's stupid to go there or not has a lot to do with "fences" and "guard rails" and "safety lines" - limits and training and escape plans.
Rick

I'm guessing Nuno Gomez knows the risks and accepts them, but I doubt that most single tank open-water certified divers doing 200 foot bounce dives to set personal depth records really understand what they're doing.

I could never figure out a buddy of mine. He once said that he dove to 100'. When I asked him why they did it he reply " so I could say that I did 100'." I am missing something. Especially when he said that his computer was going balistic with alarms.

Personal deepest... 135' to the flight deck of the Oriskany. Pretty cool and I had a reason...it wasn't to say that I did it.

lamont:
I'm guessing Nuno Gomez knows the risks and accepts them, but I doubt that most single tank open-water certified divers doing 200 foot bounce dives to set personal depth records really understand what they're doing.
I've dived with Nuno before albeit it was on a purely gear prep/check dive at Miracle Waters near Johannesburg in South Africa; this was just before his last trip to the Red Sea to work on that world record :D. Miracles bottoms at about 34m(111ft). I'm not into Tech Diving yet so it was quite the experience for me to accompany Nuno and witness him being so comfortable with his rig. One thing I know is that Nuno is very, verrrry well aware of the risks and he accepts them fully.

Deepest... 4" below bottom (had to dig up a weight belt on a search and recover dive)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom