Your Best Instructor and Why:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SFLDiver:
Reflecting back on my Adv.Rescue training with MB,

Hmmm, so the oxygen suppositories aren't -really- necessary ...
for rectal embolisms ?
Oh no, those were definately a necessary part of training -- tho I admit maybe using the recycled ones was a bit much...

Hmmm, I'd better tell Mardie to stop running drills then.

Rick Frehsee, he had a laid back attitude when a lot of the instructors back then had a drill instructor mentality.

Having now seen Joe Talavera in action, I can see why Tim started the thread. Joe's gifted -- he's a chameleon, with the ability to be dead serious when that's appropriate, and hysterically funny when humor is the best approach. I've had some extremely good instruction and am continuing to enjoy it, but I seriously hope I can make an opportunity at some point to take a class from Joe.

I'll revive this thread, because I think good instructors should get the recognition they deserve, and this can be a useful resource for anyone trying to find a good instructor.

Mine is Al Catalfumo, from the Black Durgon Inn in Bonaire. I have also just discovered he is a SSI Platinum Pro 5000 diver, and has been diving since 1962! See http://www.divessi.com/platinumpro/pp5000_individual.cfm?primary=591

My wife and I took our OW course with him in April 2006. We were the only students, and he seems to prefer teaching that way, in an informal atmosphere, not because he needs to do it, but because he enjoys it. Here's what I consider are the good points of his teaching:

* respect of the underwater environment, with emphasis on good trim and buyancy control, plus special finning techniques in fragile environments, and diving techniques for observation/photography

* proper weighing: we learned to dive with our BC empty, and therefore with the minimum amount of weights.

* how to remain calm in emergency situation: through well rehearsed emergency skills, and numerous real life examples

* equipment knowledge: no nonsense approach, with complete disregard for pushy marketing ploys :wink: eg: what type of fins are efficient (no holes, not split, firm), what to look for in mask (black skirt for better vision, no special features), why simple snorkels with no valve and splash guard are better, etc...

* relaxed atmosphere following the student needs rather than trying to impose a rigid framework

* non commercial attitude with accurate and critical evaluation of the various course programs

All in all, we feel privileged to have had the benefits of his tuitions, and the only thing we would change is stay for longer than we did (we did all the theorical study at home with book and dvd, prior to taking the OW course for 6 or 7 days with Al).

Jim Doyle (jbd here on the board) who was my AOW instructor. He customized an AOW course to include all the things that I wanted to learn. I learned all of that and then some. :D

I also learned tons from Chris Schrotke (LandLocked) and Kenny Robinson (KROBI). They weren't my instructors, but took me in as a newbie dive buddy and set a prime example of what a good diver should be.

Phil Cochran (Australian)
Why?
Because he got me back into diving.
His enthusiasm, his obvious love of diving, his sense of humour, made going into freezing Austrain lakes worth while.

Steve Matheny, because he was very passionate about diving and loved to pass that passion on. As far as instructing capabilities, he focused on what was a neccesity for diving, but even though he might have skipped over a couple things, i still learned them in his class. He was just a fun, out going, caring guy, who has unfortunately passed away (not diving related).RIP Steve

Experience has been my best instructor. The lessons it has taught I have never forgotten. As for human instructors, what are their names again?

Cap'n Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom