Your best beginner tip - post it! :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

she got my attention! I am writing some of that stuff really tiny on a sticker and putting it inside my housing, facing out, for reference. I don't know my name down there some days.

Catherine, which camera/housing do you have?

I try to prep my camera the night before a dive. It's usually when I am rushed in the morning that I make mistakes - which could be costly. Charge up my batteries for camera, strobes. Make sure I've got a fresh memory card in the camera. O-rings are properly cleaned, lubed. Housing is sealed (in an airconditioned room if possible). Check seal integrity thoroughly with a flashlight.

Renny, Nikon D-100, 12-24 mm , 105 mm and Ike housing with Ike 125 dx strobe. and you?...or maybe I saw it in your profile.....I don't know how to do that. I can't even post "big" even though Alcina has told me ten times. Waaaaa.

OH! You are in MONTEREY! Bet you make it over to Backscatter! they will unload some of your cash.

Catherine, you have a nice setup, I love your macro pictures!

My setup is:
Olympus C5050
L&MTetra 5050
S&S DX90
ULCS arms and clamps for strobe
Locline arm for Suprema 44 LED as a focus light
Inon WAL & Inon 165

Still a "newbie" photographer but trying to get in the water more, just got a drysuit so I hope to be shooting more. Macro is my favorite. What a nice move going to warm water!

Warren - great tip! I also try to make sure everything is done the night before in no hurry. I had a friend flood his camera cause he was in a hurry and closed his housing on dog hair! At the end of the dive the housing was half full of water!

scubavince:
One character such as the letter 'K' requires one byte to be stored and a typical page of text is around 4KB.

8 bits are equal to 1 byte.

1,024 bytes are equal to 1 kilobyte (KB) = 2^10

1,048,576 bytes 1,024 kilobyte are equal to 1 megabyte (MB or Meg) = 2^20

1,073,741,824 bytes or 1,024 megabytes are equal to 1 gigabyte (GB or Gig) = 2^30

then there are terabytes. :icon10:

Hope this helps,
Vince

OMG! I just had a DeVry flash back!!

Seems like a simple thing, but, really take time to get to know your camera, where all the buttons are, what each one does, the best way to access them, (finger? thumb?) and get a feel for the amount of time it takes to make setting changes.

Get a feel for how the buttons depress in the housing, sometimes they "float" different than when you just depress them w/o the housing.

Feeling comfortable with your equipment will make the rest of the process so much easier.

Sharky---you reminded me: Try your camera before Topside. I swear I never even turned it on....how's that for airhead?

Best piece of advice....

If you think you are close enough....get closer!

Nice list renny

Good thread :D

arenny:
[*]-For macro: get as close as you can first then zoom, but when you zoom, you lose a bit of depth of field
Also remember that when you use your zoom your minimum focus distance will INCREASE most of the time. It's a matter of finding the balance.

arenny:
[*]-the strobe should be pointed 45 degrees horizontally and vertically from the lens
Umm, sometimes. :)

arenny:
[*]-Do not shoot into the sun
Unless you want to work on your sunballs :wink:

Always have fun!

Rules are meant to be broken.

It's digital, experiment.

Shoot more than one frame of each scene/subject!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom