Youngest Certified Scuba Diver in PADI History

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with you guys. My son was certified at 10 years and he's my dive buddy of preference whenever we can get our trips together. He's 18 now, graduating from high school and heading out on his own. I'm gonna miss him on a lot of dives.

And it's not just me being proud; I've had a lot of folks comment on his skills, calm demeanor and help both under and above water.

that said, I've seen more than a few 20-60 year olds that scare me silly in scuba gear. It's not only maturity, it's common sense and constant learning...which is why I like diving with Jack. He has those things; sometimes his buddy is a little lacking. :wink: :)

In my opinion, a few of the posts in this thread were a bit harsh. A child (or an adult) may be ready to take up scuba when they are mentally and physically mature enough to responsibly handle the activity. Both my children were certified at age 12, under the old PADI rules, my son in 1997 and my daughter in 2001. Both were mature, responsible, highly motivated to take up scuba, excellent swimmers, and extremely comfortable in the water. Both became excellent divers and great buddies. I've now had the pleasure of diving with them for 17 and 13 years respectfully.

We've all been in situations in which we've dived with "adults" that had poor skills, could not swim to save their lives (or yours) and acted irresponsibly. Some children are much better than that, maybe even some 10 year olds. I'm certainly not in favor of making it an age contest either.

Good diving, Craig

I feel bad for the little kid who didn't know enough to evaluate what she was getting into, and who had no choice but to just trust the adults whose motives are unclear. It's worrisome to me that her dive career has a foundation of, "Don't worry, this will be fine, we know what we're doing." I fear she's going to have "trust me dive" wired into her as standard operating procedure for a long time.

Seahorse, I'm just gonna play devil's advocate for a moment. I don't necessarily disagree with your post but it does have a couple of points to give a better look at. We don't, or at least I don't, know what the little girl was thinking when she got certified. IMHO, very few of the kids that are taught to dive that are younger than 12-13 really know what they're getting into. They just know that mom/dad dive and they enjoy it. I've NEVER had a 15-16 year old interview me about an OW class, parents yes, so that throws them right back to the group of mom/dad said it was ok. The trust me dive, well that is another critter entirely. the next time you go on a dive vacation, check to see how many people leave the boat with a plan other than follow the guide or turn back at 1/2 tank.

I don't disagree with logic behind most of the "this is crazy post". Just some of the flames that seem to go with some.

Seahorse, I'm just gonna play devil's advocate for a moment. I don't necessarily disagree with your post but it does have a couple of points to give a better look at. We don't, or at least I don't, know what the little girl was thinking when she got certified. IMHO, very few of the kids that are taught to dive that are younger than 12-13 really know what they're getting into. They just know that mom/dad dive and they enjoy it. I've NEVER had a 15-16 year old interview me about an OW class, parents yes, so that throws them right back to the group of mom/dad said it was ok. The trust me dive, well that is another critter entirely. the next time you go on a dive vacation, check to see how many people leave the boat with a plan other than follow the guide or turn back at 1/2 tank.

I don't disagree with logic behind most of the "this is crazy post". Just some of the flames that seem to go with some.

As a member of the "certified at 12" club, before there were world records to be set, I can honestly say that my training in Scuba Diving may very well be what instilled my "Safety Cat" (parent's nickname for me growing up) nature. I was instructed by a very close family friend and her husband, both accomplished Army Aviators, and both VERY accomplished divers at this point in time. I'm sure I was privileged in their influence, as well as the trust my family was able to give them, but I honestly believe that it was the training they provided me at a very formative age that actually helped mold me to who I am today on many levels beyond just my diving interests.

Now, the context of your post suggests that it's a parental influence, but only my father dove, and he rarely shared those experiences with me. My mother achieved her certification in college, but aside from the single semester, I'm sure that was the end of her scuba career.

Perhaps I'm a rarity, which in terms of opportunity and interest is understandable, but I think it's unfair to say that at that age we are all in the "trust me dive" category. Obviously there is always a "trust me" aspect to the student-instructor relationship, but beyond that I can honestly say that I entered into my underwater fascination with very cautious feet.

Not looking for an argument or a contradiction, just hoping to provide an alternate perspective. And for the record, I still disagree with the "record setting" attitude, at almost EVERY level of diving.

Some kids really are ready at an early age. Despite the fact that no one in our family dove, my son was begging us to let him dive from the time he was a toddler. At an age when other kids were watching Sesame Street he was fixated on an old Jacques Cousteau video. He took a Scuba Ranger course at 8, was certified at 10, and earned his instructor certification at 18. He'll spend this summer in the Caribbean as a 19 year old assistant instructor.

That said, I think there's a real danger in the drive to set records for youngest anything (OW, AOW, JMSD, Tech, etc.) in scuba. I worry that it will lead parents to disregard safety standards. For instance, one of the things my son learned early and well was that you don't cut corners in scuba. As a JOW diver you stay within the 12 meter limit, you don't cut it close on your air supply, and you don't do dives that are beyond your skill level. Even a mature kid with good judgement really isn't old enough at 10 or 12 to be making judgement calls about breaking the rules, but right off the bat this "record breaking" kid is being taught that it's okay to bend them. She clearly didn't do the paper test, 5 proper pool sessions and 4 open water dives in two days, so she was allowed to start instruction before her 10th birthday.

The other thing I worry about in terms of safety is that in the rush to get the course done quickly a kid trying to break a record isn't going to learn the technical information and skills well. I remember that when my son was studying the book I realized he hadn't yet encountered some of the basic concepts inherent in scuba, such as mass, volume and density. I used to joke that for him mass was the state in which we lived, volume was the button on the remote and density had to do with how stupid his little sister was. He was smart enough to be able to parrot back correct information verbatim from the book but with imperfect understanding. As a result I had to tutor him through the book, questioning his answers to make sure that he fully comprehended what he was reading. He would have passed the course without my intervention, but I don't think he would have been as safe a diver as he was in the early years without it.

Another concern we faced was the buddy issue. Although I had no doubt he'd be a well trained and conscientious diver I didn't feel he was fully ready to be responsible for a buddy's life. I also worried that if he was paired up with an instructor who insisted on doing something stupid he might not yet have the authority to overrule them. As a result my husband went through the certification course with our son. On all post-certification dives they triple buddied-son, hubby and instructor. The instructor was there to keep the dive safe from a technical standpoint (hubby was too green) and hubby was there to look out for our son's best interests. Son gradually took on more and more of a leadership role.

We were reminded of the danger in even the most seemingly simple dive one weekend when our son was 12. I came across a news item in the paper about a man who had died on a local shore dive the day before. We realized that my son had been on the exact same dive, in the same location, with the same shop/dive leader the weekend before. It made me ponder what it would have been like for my little boy to deal with a death within his dive group.

So the bottom line for me is that I'd like to see these kinds of records ignored. They don't really benefit anyone or anything other than the egos of misguided parents.

Some kids...

I'm not sure there's a little smiley face for "nailed it", and if there were I'm not sure if know how to put it in this post. Sue, this is probably the first post I've seen from you, and it was awesome. You couldn't have been more on point than that.

Obviously people have strong opinions on age! I have a 9 year old going through the PADI Master Seal program right now, and my 12 year old is a PADI Jr. Advance Diver that has an Enriched Air Diver Certification. We are both currently working on our Rescue Diver Certification. As a parent who's buddy is most often his 12 year old son, I would say that we do not take any risks and take every precaution. People seem to act less risky when they are with their kids. I think the statistics of deaths related to age in SCUBA actually show that being female and being young have a largely reduced incidence of injury and death. It is the Male risk takers and older age that have the higher rate of injuries and death.

Here: Take a look at this report, it is pretty revealing:

http://dspace.rubicon-foundation.or...23456789/9329/DAN_Fatalities_8.pdf?sequence=1

Interesting that the opinions regarding age for a SCUBA certification revolve around an age limit which has been set by the training agencies. Based on what? Their larger market and increased revenue?

Taken from scubadiving.com

Reason for the Change
To promote the sport. Lots of divers have kids, and the growing popularity of resort diving meant a market for family dive vacations. "The future of diving will be determined by kids," says Bret Gilliam, president of SDI, the first agency to lower the age. "It's a great step forward to recognize the family unit as key to our sport's growth."

Glad to see the change was based on new knowledge about the effects of breathing under pressure in young kids, on studies about their motor abilities and psychological capabilities and their understanding of physics and maths. Oh wait, it wasn't. We don't know anything, but hey it promotes the sport!

A personal, but well documented opinion that raises several interesting points.

Why I Do NOT Train Kids In Scuba Diving

I'm always amazed when I see individuals of this age (and even a bit older) getting certified. I don't care who does the training...........an individual of that age is simply not ready psychologically or physically for the stresses of diving. Seems only a few posters seem to get this.
As for PADI, they should be shot for promoting this crap. If people think I'm wrong, please show me the studies where it's ok to breath compressed gas with still developing epiphyseal plates for atarters.
Later,
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom