young stroke victim wantsto dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I had a stoke due to a abnormal twist in a blood vessel in my brain when I was 6. My body was able to create its on bypass and I had a full recovery. Since then I have done everything I have wanted to do such as surfing, snorkeling, playing soccer, running 10k's, etc. I have been above 14,000 feet and have been about 20 feet underwater with no poblems at all. I read in another post that involved a stroke victim and scubadoc said the abnormality could cause anoter stroke. In my case, the abnormalty has been bypassed so i do no think this should affect my ability to dive. Any comments are appreciated.

Hi hopetodive:

When determinining fitness to dive after pretty much any neurological injury the main considerations are residual neurological problems that might interfere with ability to dive and risk of recurrence of the injury. It is possible to dive after a neurological injury if there are no residual neurological problems (or the problems are well compensated for) and the risk of recurrence is acceptably low.

HTH,

Bill

The above is meant for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual. Decisions regarding fitness to dive should be made between the potential diver and their personal physician.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom