Young Person

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're risking her life. As you probably learned in OW, the biggest pressure change is in the first few feet. I'd never let my boys (age 8 and almost 10) breath off of an octopus without training. It's not a good idea in general to let snorkelers breath off of your octopus.

He's absolutely right!!! 100%

10 years old and the mental & physical requirements.

by the way ...

banana.gif
wavey.gif

WELCOME TO
:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:

I know it has already been said, but those who suggest a mask, snorkel and fins are on the money. In the end it will make her a better diver. My certification came through a university program so with an entire semester to kill we had a large skin diving portion, and it made us all much better divers in general. It helped to have a very old school instructor.

Meh, I would likely let my kid take a hit off the octo in the pool when he gets 8. But with 2 sons, I have readily available spare parts. J/k.

My opinion changes day-to-day on this sort of subject, as I wonder if I baby my kids too much. A lot of the fun I had when I was young was at least this dangerous, and I want my kids to have the same kinds of fun I did. It's a fine line between too cautious or too dangerous. I could see it both ways here. So long as you know the risk, do what you think is right.

Having a kid breath off an octo underwater is not a big deal, AS LONG AS HE'S MADE AWARE THIS IS SERIOUS - NEVER HOLD YOUR BREATH - and when he wants to go up doesn't hold his breath. You have to watch closely ... And be with him going up for at least the first few times. A big breath and going up really fast in as little as 4 ft in a water column can hurt someone. Just be aware. Having fun can turn serious real fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom