Young Kids, Diving Parents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kennedykids

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! We're hoping to go on a trip in the spring when our toddler is 3 and our newest about 8 months old. Is Cozumel the place for us to:

1. Go on dives and be back in a few hours?
2. Find family-friendly accommodation?
3. Have babysitting? Some kind of camp/program for our preschooler?
4. Have a reasonably affordable vacation?
5. Do something other than dive?

When our first son was 8 months, we went to La Paz, Mexico because we understood Sea of Cortez to be great diving. However, the sites were way too far from shore and we had to split up, because we didn't want to leave our child that long.

Is Cozumel right, or would Bonaire or Roatan fit our needs better?
Suggestions for great accomm. in Cozumel?

Thanks so much. I find it tough to narrow down a place to go with very young kids!

1. Go on dives and be back in a few hours?
Yes. Especially if you stay at one of the southern resorts. The house op at Iberostar and Allegro do single tank dives bringing you back to the resort for SI. Most recently, we've been staying at Fiesta Americana for it's balanced location between the reefs and town. We use an off-site dive op who pick us up at about 8:30 and we're usually back after 2 tanks around noon but sometimes closer to 1:00 depending on which sites we do.
2. Find family-friendly accommodation?
Yes. With a couple of exceptions, all resorts are family-friendly and will have activities/programs for the little ones.
3. Have babysitting? Some kind of camp/program for our preschooler?
Yes. You'll want to narrow down you selection of resorts and contact them individually to see exactly what services and programs are offered. In a few weeks, we will have taken our 3-year old daughter to Cozumel for the 5th time and have stayed at Fiesta Americana the last 4 times. We have become very close friends with the lady at the resort who watches our daughter and our daughter has become very fond of her as well. One thing to keep in mind; You will not be allowed to leave your children at the resort in one of the free programs without a babysitter. Also, many of the free programs have a minimum age limit of at least 3.
4. Have a reasonably affordable vacation?
Yes. I cannot think of a less expensive, out of the country, dive trip to the best diving in the Caribbean and recently, I've seen the best prices in nearly 10 years of traveling to the area. We've been wanting to go to Florida but with Cozumel being more affordable, we keep scratching those plans.
5. Do something other than dive?
Yes. There is plenty else to do however, traveling with a little one, I find it best chill at the resort and enjoy the pools, beach and sun. For that reason, we really enjoy Fiesta Americana. I'll let other's comment on other activities to do.
Is Cozumel right, or would Bonaire or Roatan fit our needs better?
Absolutely! We went to Bonaire in February and while it was great and the diving spectacular, we felt that we didn't get much quality family time together because of the "buffet" style of diving. With all the nitrox diving at your doorstep beckoning us, it was tough to get in family time. Also, flying from Houston, the flight to Bonaire was 3 times longer than flying to Coz and for little one, that could be long long flight. If and when our daughter decides to dive, Bonaire will be an excellent choice. We've not been to Roatan but considered it a few years ago and honestly, we were a bit put off with the risks of malaria and subjecting a toddler to antimalarial medication. Again, another excellent destination best suited when she gets older.
Suggestions for great accomm. in Cozumel?
We've stayed at Iberostar, Allergo and Fiesta Americana. Besides Fiesta Americana being a better value, dollar for dollar we'd stay there over any other. Like I said before, great location, fun kid-friendly pools, nice ocean view rooms, decent food but only affordable with the AI plan, and like the rest of Cozumel, the nicest employees working there eager to treat you like royalty.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions about Fiesta Americana. Do a search to find some trip reports. Finally, welcome to SB!

I don't have little ones, so I'll leave others to comment on most of your questions. I have been to Roatan and LOVED the diving there. I would NOT recommend taking very young children there. Roatan is IMHO third world. I was a little nervous about my own health and safety there and would not consider taking small children. Just my 2 cents.

Most resorts require that kids be 4 and older to go to the on site kids club. I just verified that the Iberostar & Grand use that policy so I would also suspect that the Allegro (also known as the Holiday Village White Sands Resort) does too since it & the Grand are owned by Occidental. Those resorts are closest to the popular reefs and therefore offer quick returns after your diving. As for the 8 mo old you can hire a babysitter at most resorts, and it's often done, but some people get a bad feeling about letting a stranger look after their young kids. Most resorts use a staff member, but if not I'm rather sure they use someone reputable. I have albums showing many of the resorts, what the diving can be like, and some of the sights here. (new ones are at the top, older ones require scrolling down a ways but resort photos are up to date enough to show them for what they are.
Picasa Web Albums - Larry

We are going to Cozumel in August and staying at Fiesta Americana. My husband and I dive but our boys don't. They are 17 and 11. I was hoping to find a dive operation that would take the four of us out for a combination scuba / snorkel trip. We are realatively new divers so we would be happy with shallow dives if it meant good snorkeling for the boys. Josh in Houston...any ideas?

xqqqme29:
We are going to Cozumel in August and staying at Fiesta Americana. My husband and I dive but our boys don't. They are 17 and 11. I was hoping to find a dive operation that would take the four of us out for a combination scuba / snorkel trip. We are realatively new divers so we would be happy with shallow dives if it meant good snorkeling for the boys. Josh in Houston...any ideas?

Good question... I've heard about this being offered and know it's in my future with our daughter but haven't inquired directly so I'd only be guessing. I could see the bigger ops who have several boats offering this sort of thing on a daily scheduled basis from the likes of Aqua Safari or Blue Angel just to name 2 off the top of my head. That is not to say smaller, boutique ops like Blue XT Sea or Living Underwater wouldn't offer this sort of trip either. The house op at FA, Dive House may also offer this service... I'm just not sure. Personally, when the time comes, I'd have to email each op to see what they offer and I suggest you do the same. Most ops are great in Cozumel and some are exceptional. They are usually very responsive via email and willing to recommend you to someone that offers a service they don't. I've hyper-linked the 5 I mentioned above so that you can get more information but like I said, there are many other good ops in Coz.

Also, this would be a good topic as a new thread that I'm sure would result in a good amount of feedback and recommendations.

Last edited:
xqqqme29------I just posted this on TA to answer your same question about the diving/snorkeling combo:

EagleRay Divers does this kind of combo all the time.

They leave from the marina mid morning and could pick you up at your hotel. (the teenagers might like not having to get up at the crack of dawn??.....hahha)

Just a thought----

What's New - Cozumel's premiere Dive Shop - Eagle Ray Divers, Cozumel Mexico

1-866-465-1616 TOLL FREE NUMBER

Betsy

I think driftin' by has it about right, except that I don't know about child-minding. Our solution when our son was too young to dive was... we didn't dive. We started snorkeling with him as soon as he was able. Fortunately, he's a fish.

Cozumel is superb for a family vacation, at least for our family.

Back
Top Bottom