You GOTTA have insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope. Far from it. I don’t know how we are going to implement single payer without it being a hot mess. I had elderly relatives in Ontario (now deceased) who in the 80s and early 90s had to wait multiple years for cataract and knee surgeries. Their quality of life would have been much improved if they had gotten the surgeries in a timely manner.
I'm not sure what the problem was there Marie, but I had my cataract surgery without a hitch as did a few of my friends. Other friends abd acquaintances have had their knee and/or hip surgeries as required. Sometimes it might be a matter of explaining things properly to your physician. For old folks, they generally need an advocate, preferably a loved one.

Nope. Far from it. I don’t know how we are going to implement single payer without it being a hot mess. I had elderly relatives in Ontario (now deceased) who in the 80s and early 90s had to wait multiple years for cataract and knee surgeries. Their quality of life would have been much improved if they had gotten the surgeries in a timely manner.

versus the typical seppo doc who would just prescribe some oxys and call it a day.

Imagine if you had coverage that you only paid for when working but still had after the layoff.

Some do. But only until you run out of your "accrued sick leave credits". Unless you've been there for 20 years and took an early retirement instead -- then the "credits" are forever.

People who are opposed to universal healthcare always argue that society can't possibly afford it. However, many countries do find a way to afford it. Perhaps we could shift our budgetary priorities away from military, prison, corporate tax breaks etc...? If society does not come together soon and offer some kind of support to everyone (promote the general welfare) then we may not have a country much longer. Things are getting bad in my opinion. People are extremely unhappy. Hopefully they will vote for a change of direction towards compassion. All of us as humans have the same basic needs and providing for them is why we made society in the first place.

Some do. But only until you run out of your "accrued sick leave credits". Unless you've been there for 20 years and took an early retirement instead -- then the "credits" are forever.
Unless you’re lay-off is accompanied with company bankruptcy in which all of those savings are stolen. I’m set, now have Medicare and my old job covers the gap I think all of my fellow citizens deserve the same, even if they aren’t bright enough to appreciate it at the time.

I do know that for a regular winter in the US, people aren’t being told to NOT go to their doctor unless they are VERY sick. I’m a regular listener to BBC Radio. This has been happening with the NHS in England for a number of winters in a row in order to not overwhelm the system.

Don't doubt that for a second. A resource that is perceived to be free can easily be abused. Have a look at pretty much any freeway system in the world as a good non health care example. Allocation of resources is the issue. Get a cold go see the doctor, notwithstanding there is nothing they can do, but it is free so why not? Hence the warnings, don't go unless you are really sick so the system is not overwhelmed. However everyone that actually needs healthcare gets it.

Not sure that private health care is a better response however. In that system wealth is the gatekeeper, anyone with money gets quick access to the healthcare they want (not need), those without money don't get access to the healthcare that they need as paying for rent and food is a higher priority. So on one hand you have everyone getting the healthcare they need and on the other some getting the healthcare they want and others not getting the healthcare they need - with wealth being the filter.

People who are opposed to universal healthcare always argue that society can't possibly afford it. However, many countries do find a way to afford it. Perhaps we could shift our budgetary priorities away from military, prison, corporate tax breaks etc...? If society does not come together soon and offer some kind of support to everyone (promote the general welfare) then we may not have a country much longer. Things are getting bad in my opinion. People are extremely unhappy. Hopefully they will vote for a change of direction towards compassion. All of us as humans have the same basic needs and providing for them is why we made society in the first place.
Most of the really unhappy people I know all listen to the same mix of disinformation broadcasters who tell them every day how unhappy they are.

Most of the really unhappy people I know all listen to the same mix of disinformation broadcasters who tell them every day how unhappy they are.

Would they just hurry up and take all my guns away please? I've been told "they" are gonna do this for years now, yet it hasn't happened.

At my old company, I had to pay $300 a month for a decent, traditional plan without high deductibles. Laid off in March due to the plague. New company (only one other employee) is giving me an excellent plan that runs the owner $900 a month. I’m not paying anything towards the premium. I’m getting the same plan owner has. New boss treats me significantly better than the old company.
My point exactly. In a personal insurance system, it all depends on your contract (if you're lucky enough to have employment). In a single-payer system, you're covered. Period.

I'm lucky enough to have chosen a career in which I'd be better off than most in a personal insurance system. I live in a single payer system. Does that bother me? On the contrary.

I was going by national averages.
I know. Problem is, when the variance becomes really huge, the average becomes rather meaningless.

Back
Top Bottom