You GOTTA have insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally have VA coverage, my total bill each year is around $500. My wife has no insurance and we save around $10,000 dollars a year on average by not having insurance for her right now. If we had the same taxes as British Columbia I would pay on Average more than the cost of insurance in taxes at my current income, most of the EU or New Zealand I would pay even more! I would rather have no medical insurance for my wife and be able to negotiate cash pricing than pay the 20 to 45 percent income tax that I would have to pay in the rest of the world instead of the less than 10% that I pay in Florida. I also like our 7% sales tax versus the 12 to 20% the rest of the Western world pays! My next new car will cost me $2450 in sales tax versus $4200 in BC and $7000 in most of Europe!

I personally have VA coverage, my total bill each year is around $500. My wife has no insurance and we save around $10,000 dollars a year on average by not having insurance for her right now. If we had the same taxes as British Columbia I would pay on Average more than the cost of insurance in taxes at my current income, most of the EU or New Zealand I would pay even more! I would rather have no medical insurance for my wife and be able to negotiate cash pricing than pay the 20 to 45 percent income tax that I would have to pay in the rest of the world instead of the less than 10% that I pay in Florida. I also like our 7% sales tax versus the 12 to 20% the rest of the Western world pays! My next new car will cost me $2450 in sales tax versus $4200 in BC and $7000 in most of Europe!
Don’t you pay Federal income tax on top?

We only pay Federal Tax on income and my effective tax rate is less than 10%, there is no state income tax in Florida only 7% sales tax in my county on purchases and property tax on my home. No other taxes!

And there you have the difference - I am alright, i.e. I perceive I pay less for my health care and I really don’t care about those who don’t have or can’t get insurance as they don’t have a job that gets them healthcare or preconditions that don’t allow them to get insurance ... etc. vs I believe healthcare for all is worth those who have a bit more, paying a bit more every year. No judgement - they are just very different mindsets and societies with costs and benefits both ways. And as it is by and large the golden rule in the US (those with the gold makes the rules) I don’t see that mindset changing.

PS every study I have ever read says that the total cost of health care on a per capita basis is significantly higher in the US than in Canada with worse overall outcomes - infant mortality, expected lifespan, etc. Maybe we get other things for our taxes:).

Haven't read all posts as a newcomer to this thread, but assume the U.S. has been compared enough to all the "socialized medicine" countries. As a dual citizen for decades, and having experienced illness myself (both in the U.S. and of course here in Canada) and in family members in the U.S.--I can say that the U.S. system is crazy.
The paperwork alone is astounding, especially if you dare even spend one day-- or HOURS-- in a hospital.

... I pay nothing for my health insurance, something NJ gives to certain retired employees with at least 25 years of service. ...

WI still does. I know a couple of people who took very early retirement and went consluting largely because of that: your level of benefits is locked at the time of retirement, and with all the "improvements" we've been getting since 2008 it's a wise move to get them locked in while they still exist.

Just look at the physical condition of the average American, I can’t believe anyone would want to share the cost of treatment through taxes or other means.

Had surgery some years back. The plan was surgery then one night in the hospital. The surgeon would be $10K and the hospital stay was separate (as well as miscellaneous other personnel). I had it pre-authorized.

Got the bill from the surgeon after insurance paid their portion = $10K. After restarting my heart, I called insurance. They said, no pre-authorization. I said, yes, there was. They said, "oh yeah, I see it now". That's when I learned they first send you the bill to see if you will pay it THEN look into paying it themselves. I remember that always now.

Bill from the hospital was $75K (yes, surgery + one night). Next bill showed insurance payment. Rate reduced by $69K, and insurance paid about what I paid.

Thought that was a huge bill until my wife spent 3 days in ICU after nearly dying after cesarean birth because she was bleeding internally and they didn't know it. They actually thought not one but two blood pressure monitors were "bad" until realizing the third one showing the same number meant it was right (down in the 60s). Almost went from the best day of my life to the worst day of my life all in one day.

Just look at the physical condition of the average American, I can’t believe anyone would want to share the cost of treatment through taxes or other means.

make fitness equipment including scuba gear tax deductable and i'll support universal healthcare.

If we're going down that rabbit hole, I'd just like to leave these here:
An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure—Universal Health Coverage to Strengthen Health Security
U.S. Health Care from a Global Perspective, 2019 | Commonwealth Fund

Back
Top Bottom