Yoke vs DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went DIN-only for about three months using one of those blasted DIN-to-yoke adapters but gave up on it. It just put the first stage too close to the back of my head and always had me fiddling with it.

I now have a yoke first stage specifically for travel to compliment my two DIN first stages.

If you turn the tank slightly the valve is angled away and no more bumpity bump on your noggin.

If you turn the tank slightly the valve is angled away and no more bumpity bump on your noggin.
Yes and no. Yes, that sorta works. No, its easier to just have a yoke first stage for yoke valves. Esp. with my FST first stages that were IMO designed for proper hose routing from the ground up (vs. the radial pattern that many first stages use).

As always, YMMV.

Thought this horse was dead???

by the way, tanks are not DIN or Yoke, Valves are. Most tanks have removable/replaceable valves.

Are there also a lot that do too? :D (I did say 'European' intentionally!)
Yes, specify when you book that you need DIN valves and its not a problem. I only dive DIN and didnt have any problem getting DIN tanks in Mexico (nor adapters which I dont really mind, DIN valves is just easier). When I was in Egypt this summer, all the tanks was DIN with yoke insert.

All DIN for technical diving and streamlining...especially diving doubles. Deco gas...DIN. Yoke for recreational diving to look at the pretty fishes or DIN depending on where you are diving.

If you going technical you will be spending money and you will be strongly urged to switch to DIN...cave, wreck and overhead environment diving calls for streamlining and a stronger fitting.

FWIW to switch my DIN to Yoke for traveling took my shop < 10 minutes ... and the tech and I were chatting at the time.

If it's for a planned, multi-day trip one or twice a year it's not that big a deal to me :)

One of the key reasons I didn't see mentioned here with DIN and another reason why it is a technical diving choice is it is a design where it is less prone to O ring failure. Why you see it on the higher pressure cylinders and even on overfills their failure rate is less frequent.

Din, travel with a Yoke convertor.

For those that carry a yoke converter for travel to destinations where DIN tanks aren't commonly available... I purchased a yoke fitting (not adaptor) for my Apeks first stage, and just swap the DIN fitting out for it if/when I have to

Cost me <US$50 (about the same price as the adaptor), doesn't poke me in the back of the head/require twisting the tank, and takes 3 minutes and a hex key & 17mm ring spanner to change

win-win

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom