Yoke safe for 3442psi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTFM. (Read that fine manual)

Why not go to the real source and look in the manual for your reg.

You'll find something along the line of
All MARES first stages are available with the following types of tank valve fittings: DIN 477/50 screw (max pressure 300 bar), international YOKE CGA 850 adapter (max pressure 232 bar), in accordance with the EN 250: 2000 standard.
232bar = 3442psi.

Hey Rainer...

I wish I traveled enough to worry about the yoke to DIN thing. Going island diving??...how about Rhode Island. That's about as far as I've dive traveled in recent years.

LobstaMan

LobstaMan:
Hey Rainer...
Going island diving??...
LobstaMan

Leaving for Bonaire on Friday. Converted to yoke last night. Will convert back to DIN when I return.

Alot of people seem to think that you have to switch back your first stage to yoke when you travel, or put on a different 1st stage. You can buy a DIN - Yoke adaptor for $50 bucks at any shop or any online store (leisurepro has them) and they just screw right onto your din connection and makes it yoke.

You dont ahve to take anything apart or change anything. Its SUPER EASY!

Bruce3:
im getting a worthington hp100 at the end of this month :D i was wondering if my current reg would hold up to it? i currently run a mares MR12 1st yolk and proton 2nd. my question is is it unsafe to use yolk for this set up?

I know it's 1 am because I would not use a yolk. I'd use the whites and save the yolk for noodles. This is a terrible yoke but I just could not resist.:D Jim

FoSheZZie23:
Alot of people seem to think that you have to switch back your first stage to yoke when you travel, or put on a different 1st stage. You can buy a DIN - Yoke adaptor for $50 bucks at any shop or any online store (leisurepro has them) and they just screw right onto your din connection and makes it yoke.

You dont ahve to take anything apart or change anything. Its SUPER EASY!

Well aware (as I wrote earlier), but yoke converters SUPER suck. Puts the first stage WAY closer to the back of your head. It's also no more secure that a normal yoke adapter. I use it up here for those times I might need to borrow a yoke cylinder, but when I know I'll be diving yoke for a week, best to change. It's not hard.

I agree if I was traveling and knew I would be using yoke all week I'd swap my first stages back. I dislike the converters but mine only moves the first stage around 1/2 forward. Yeah I notice it, but its not a huge deal. But if you are diving yoke all week why have 2 o-rings in the mix?

My 3342 tanks have the DIN with yoke insert. I used it with yoke for awhile. I noticed a fairly high o-ring failure rate. I think anything approaching 3500 PSI starts to extrude that yoke o-ring. Again thats just my personal opinion. None of these failures happened in the water, as usual they happened within a few seconds of turning on the tank valve.

timle:
I agree if I was traveling and knew I would be using yoke all week I'd swap my first stages back. I dislike the converters but mine only moves the first stage around 1/2 forward. Yeah I notice it, but its not a huge deal. But if you are diving yoke all week why have 2 o-rings in the mix?

My 3342 tanks have the DIN with yoke insert. I used it with yoke for awhile. I noticed a fairly high o-ring failure rate. I think anything approaching 3500 PSI starts to extrude that yoke o-ring. Again thats just my personal opinion. None of these failures happened in the water, as usual they happened within a few seconds of turning on the tank valve.

Pretty much exactly my experience as well. Unfortunately, my converter adds more like 1".

Rainer:
Well aware (as I wrote earlier), but yoke converters SUPER suck. Puts the first stage WAY closer to the back of your head. It's also no more secure that a normal yoke adapter. I use it up here for those times I might need to borrow a yoke cylinder, but when I know I'll be diving yoke for a week, best to change. It's not hard.
I never measured mine, but it's probably somewhere from .5-1.0" as well. Not great, but I actually bought my regs as DIN so I don't even have the option of switching them back to Yoke without spending some dough. So I just use the converter and live with it. I used the adapter in Jamaica early this year and was fine with it. It wasn't a dedicated dive vacation, though, so a full week of diving like that I can see why you would convert over, esp. since you have the parts.

Have fun in Bonaire with Robyn! Sorry we weren't able to get her trimmed out beforehand... darn rogue waves!

CompuDude:
I never measured mine, but it's probably somewhere from .5-1.0" as well. Not great, but I actually bought my regs as DIN so I don't even have the option of switching them back to Yoke without spending some dough. So I just use the converter and live with it. I used the adapter in Jamaica early this year and was fine with it. It wasn't a dedicated dive vacation, though, so a full week of diving like that I can see why you would convert over, esp. since you have the parts.

Have fun in Bonaire with Robyn! Sorry we weren't able to get her trimmed out beforehand... darn rogue waves!

Those SoCal surf entries are a blast! Sounds like she just got the new mask. Should be a great trip. Hopefully she'll be up for some more dives when we get back! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom