Yoke safe for 3442psi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bruce3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
im getting a worthington hp100 at the end of this month :D i was wondering if my current reg would hold up to it? i currently run a mares MR12 1st yolk and proton 2nd. my question is is it unsafe to use yolk for this set up?

Most of the world happily dive away with yoke regulators attached to standard 232 bar/3442 psi tanks.

I have yet to hear of this low pressure shooting a 1st stage through the back of someone’s head. So rest easy. :D

If you had an early yoke 1st stage (those collectors items with thin arms) then it would be an issue.

Cheers,
Rohan.

I have a Dacor reg which is just a rebadged MR12 and use it all the time on my 232 bar cylinders, thats pretty standard over here. As stated earlier just watch out on some older models, the arms are noticably thinner and technically not rated to 232 bar, but anything manufactured within the last 5 years (probably much longer) will be fine.

Some of the newer heavy yokes used to be stamped for use with 4000 psi. I have one stamped like that. Most of my other new ones are stamped 232 Bars.

The older skinnier yokes could stretch a few thousands of an inch and allow the O-ring to blow. You won't see a catastrophic structural failure, but you should not used those old yokes with this kind of pressures.

Cousteau and the Calypso divers used to use yokes with their 5000 psi tanks.

I wouldnt say its an issue at all with your reg or any reg for that matter. I always recommend DIN, its more secure in all aspects and it only costs about $50 for the conversion, chances are your worthington 100 came with a yoke adaptor inside the DIN valve.

I have never personally blown an O ring but i have heard of people who have thats why i switched to DIN.

Back when i first started diving i dove a steel 100HP at 3800psi, we blead 200psi out of it because i was diving yoke.

Personally i wouldnt let the shop fill it over 3500 (which they wont if you have your yoke adaptor in the valve)

Right now i dive a worthington 100HP with 4000psi in it and i dive a ScubaPro s600/mk25 DIN.

I went DIN when I bought my PST E7-100s(stock valves are both yoke & DIN compatible). Not necessary, but I do like the screw-in connection...easy, secure and safe. However, if you change to DIN on your 1st stage and you plan on traveling(by air) w/ it often, it could be a pain. 'Cause most dive ops will be yoke only. You'd have to change the 1st stage back to yoke before you go. I don't travel, so hasn't been an issue for me. Just a thought.

LobstaMan

Yoke is fine, no problem. I use Worthington steel 100s, and have used Yoke and DIN with them. Switched over to DIN for local diving just as a personal preference. Have separate Yoke first stages for traveling.

Be sure to use 90 durometer (hardness) o-rings, as recommended by Thermo Valves. Softer ones are more likely to extrude at the higher pressure. I got some at http://diveriteexpress.com/hardware/orings.shtml. I called, and they slipped a couple of packs in a regular envelope, and didn't charge the usual minimum shipping fee. If you are buying a bunch (like have friends with the same needs), http://www.oringsusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=107001997 can work out cheaper in bulk. Or just pick up a few spares at your LDS. Note that there have been a few versions of the valve insert, and the o-ring size required has varied. So, make sure you have the correct size for your inserts. The version I have require size -112 for both o-rings.

LobstaMan:
I went DIN when I bought my PST E7-100s(stock valves are both yoke & DIN compatible). Not necessary, but I do like the screw-in connection...easy, secure and safe. However, if you change to DIN on your 1st stage and you plan on traveling(by air) w/ it often, it could be a pain. 'Cause most dive ops will be yoke only. You'd have to change the 1st stage back to yoke before you go. I don't travel, so hasn't been an issue for me. Just a thought.

LobstaMan

All my regs are now DIN. When I travel, I have two options. Add the yoke converter to my DIN reg (ok solution if you're only doing a few dives, as it does put the connector close to your head) or just swap back to the yoke adapter (takes all of one minute; this is a better option when you're going to be doing a lot of diving). Or better yet, just get a yoke travel reg. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom