Yoke removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glaude36

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am haveing a hell of a time removing my yoke connector from my Oceanic 1st stage to replace it with a DIN. Dose anyone have any advice for me?

If this is going to be a one time changeover, then take it to a shop where they have the proper tools to do the job correctly.

If you intend to switch the connectors back and forth as needed, then get the correct tools to do the job: Store - Air Flow Analyzer, Bench Fixtures, Pressure Gauges, Regulator Test Instruments

I believe the Oceanic yoke nut get about 24 ft-lb of torque. With the crud that tends to accumulate around those unprotected threads, the torque to remove the yoke nut may be much higher so the proper yoke nut socket may be necessary to avoid damage. I don't believe the din retainer get the same torque. I believe it get about 17 ft-lb.

I just looked at my DX4 manual, that should be a simple job, exactly what is the problem? You do need the proper wrench or socket but otherwise it should be easy. My guess is the last person really cranked down on it and/or there is some corrosion. If so, you will need to get it clamped in a vise to hold it and then use the proper wrench. To clamp it in a vise, you will need to find 1 or better yet 2 - 4in or longer 3/8x24 bolts and nuts for each. This is not a normal 3/8 bolt but 3/8 SAE fine thread so you may have to look some to find them. If it will not completely thread into a LP port by hand you have the wrong bolt thread DO NOT FORCE IT. Remove 1 or 2 LP hoses and install the bolt(s) finger tight and then snug the nuts down on the reg body. The bolt(s) become your handle that you can now clamp in a vise. Clamp the reg (bolts) in the vise and use a proper wrench to remove the yoke bolt. The wrench should cover the entire face of the yoke nut and this may be a problem as many wrenches are too shallow. I solved this problem by buying an inexpensive wrench and grinding out the throat of the wrench to fit over the yoke and completly engage the faces of the yoke nut.
According to the Oceanic DX4 manual both the yoke nut and DIN connections are 16 to 18 ftlbs which is not much, basically good and snug. Hope that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom