Yoke or Din for HP Steel..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a din configuration on my 133 steel tanks. My understanding is you need Din first stage for HP 3442 Steel tanks. My Dive Buddy is coming over to HP Steel from aluminum 100s... The Ole Timers here told him just to run a yoke... What is the real deal???? Do you really need din for HP Steel Tanks??

Another vote for DIN. Running those kind of fill pressures (3600+) you really cannot trust the non-captured o-ring design of a yoke regulator.

DIN is just better, the oring is much larger/stronger and the sealing face is much larger + it's completely captured by the screw in DIN fitting, so it less likely to get nicked, dislodged, have an oring blow out, etc. Many/most regs can be converted to DIN, and then you can just carry a DIN to Yoke converter in your save a dive kit in order to connect to a yoke valve if needed.

+1 on the DIN.

I have DIN, it's great, takes an extra second to get on and off, but I have essentially never had to use my adaptor. One time I rented a tank in Utah and they said I should have called and they could have given me a DIN tank. It's like the metric system, there is no reason except that the default is something else in the US.

I have DIN, it's great, takes an extra second to get on and off, but I have essentially never had to use my adaptor. One time I rented a tank in Utah and they said I should have called and they could have given me a DIN tank. It's like the metric system, there is no reason except that the default is something else in the US.

Well, I know that the DIN is better for high pressure, but the DIN valves are much less tolerant of abuse. They bend easily and get out of round when dropped on their valves and then are useless. So I can think of at least one reason why people may decide to go with yoke.

Back
Top Bottom