Yoke or Din for HP Steel..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I know that the DIN is better for high pressure, but the DIN valves are much less tolerant of abuse. They bend easily and get out of round when dropped on their valves and then are useless. So I can think of at least one reason why people may decide to go with yoke.
Yes, I have heard that, good point. I think it probably depends on how the tanks are treated. The rental tanks I typically see look like they have really seen some stuff. My hot dipped galvanized have been wet a few dozen times but look almost new. But I also make sure they don't move around in the trunk.

I've used yoke a lot at around 3700 -3800... No problems so far.
Until you get a problem! I had seen several o-ring extrusions with yoke valves, never seen one with DIN. Usually the problem is on the boat, as you pressurize the reg. But once I have seen it underwater...
Luckily enough here in Italy everyone uses valves with double posts, and the diver was smart enough to pull the tank over his head, close the main valve, move the reg on the second post and open the second valve. All in less than 30s, so he wasted "just" 40 bars...

I did my research and bought DIN from day one. My tanks are HP80's but my choice was influenced by it being a better, safer design. I too wonder why anyone would buy Yoke today when you can very easily convert DIN to Yoke if necessary. I travel with my Yoke converter but have had the option to dive DIN so far...........

I did my research and bought DIN from day one.
Yeah I just bought what my LDS recommended, I didn't even know there was DIN lol
Once I knew about it I was a bit pissed off it wasn't explained what the difference was and given the option, all my gear was ordered in so it was no skin off their nose.

The answer is both, buy more Regs! Like Bob I use DIN for everything but travel where I use dedicated lightweight Regs, a titanium MK 11 and a MK 20/25 UL, both yoke.

The answer is both, buy more Regs! Like Bob I use DIN for everything but travel where I use dedicated lightweight Regs, a titanium MK 11 and a MK 20/25 UL, both yoke.

LOL - I travel with a chrome bodied double hose regulator.....

DSC_2932.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom