Yoke Fitting !?!?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry if this is a dumb question - but someone referred to their regulator as "Yoke Fitting" - does that mean anything special beside that it is not DIN?
Thanks

Correct, a yolk is also somtimes called an "A" clamp, and is placed over the tank valve and tightened in place with an external screw. Other than that, nothing special...And there are no dumb questions.

Now that the topic has been brought up, what parts of the world outside of the US use the yoke fitting? Europe and Asia use DIN fittings only?

I believe that Europe distinguishes its oxygen dedicated regulators with a left handed yoke screw.
On the side, I think many would agree that DIN is a much 'better' system. Think of all the times that you have seen or done it yourself, blow out a face o-ring, tear one, or see one ripped apart by a twisted yoke. All non-existant in DIN fittings.

Europe mainly uses a yoke fitting, same as US. Only country using mainly DIN is germany (DIN means Deutsche Industrie Norm, German Industry Norm).
DIN is preferred by TEC divers all around the world, because it is less likely to fail (major air loss).
Nitrox in Europe should be a M26 connection, which is something like a DIN connection turned around (external thread on the valve, internal on the regulator). But although this is the law, you will only find it in Germany. Something to do with the fact germans are more law-abiding compared to other countries, I guess.

ciao, mart

I had to read your post several times, before seeing different ways 'yoke fitting' can be interpreted.

As with a 'DIN fitting', a 'yoke fitting' is just a type of fitting (where 'fitting' is a noun).

The term 'yoke fitting' does not mean that you have to fit (verb) the yoke.

Is that the question?

I think you are reading too much into the question. From what I gathered the OP was basically asking, "The yoke one is the one that isn't DIN, right?" I could be wrong though.

Joe

All yokes should be outlawed....
stupid things

Sideband:
I think you are reading too much into the question. From what I gathered the OP was basically asking, "The yoke one is the one that isn't DIN, right?" I could be wrong though.

Yup, I read too much into it.

The 'yoke' fitting is the one that is not 'DIN'. I'm not aware of a third alternative type of fitting for scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom