YMCA certification back in the 80s - should I be concerned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cindycycle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I understand that YMCA is no longer certifying divers. I still have (and use) my C-card, even though I don't have a lot of dives under my belt. Should I seek out any training to supplement what I learned from YMCA back in the day? Any thoughts appreciated.

I am a YMCA diver from the 80's. I have had no issues. I would recommend a refresher course from your LDS. I took some time off from scuba as well and took a refresher course. When I show my card dive shops say nothing. You are certified for life.

The YScuba Program was morphed into SEI (Scuba Educators International) a few years ago. Your YScuba card is still recognized worldwide as having provided you with quality training. However, as previously stated, if you are not diving very much, a refresher course would be a very prudent idea ... scuba isn't exactly just like riding a bicycle, and skills that have gotten rusty over time can only benefit from a little "lubrication".

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

20+ years since certified and less that 25 dives? Refresher would be a good idea, and worth the time to do.

I agree with the others. My daughter was recently certified (SSI). I was PADI certified in '85 and life got in the way soon after. After a long time off, there was no way I would get in the water as a buddy/guardian of my precious treasure. Took the refresher and "lubed up" the skills. As a result, I was much more confident in the water.

Additionally, things have changed a lot since I was certified.....gear is better, tables are different etc. Take a refresher, you'll be glad you did. If you decide to jump back in and take a specialty class or move to AOW or something, then the certifying agency will issue you a new C-card under their organization and you can frame the YScuba card for the grand kids!:D

I haven't had this much fun in years and wish I had gotten back in the water much sooner now, but then again, it might be so much fun now because it's with my daughter. Dive safe and see you on the bottom.

J.

20+ years since certified and less that 25 dives? Refresher would be a good idea, and worth the time to do.

when was the last time you went diving?
Was it 19 years ago with the less than 25 dives? or last year when you did 20 dives?
Probably a very good idea to either take a pool refresher along with a advance course OR retake the entire ow course.
Not only skills get rusty but in 20 years gear changed and your body/health has changed also.

I would agree that a refresher should be considered mandatory at this point. I know PADI, and I'd assume the others, have crossover certifications that are super simple, pretty quick and typically inexpensive that will bring you up to speed on some changes and get you a new certification card. Just an idea.

Should I seek out any training to supplement what I learned from YMCA back in the day? Any thoughts appreciated.
Newly minted open water divers should seek out your YMCA training (or similar) to supplement what they learned--it was an excellent course. A while back the YMCA was offering new certification cards for $25; you may want to look into that if yours has faded to the extent mine had.

I have to admit that even as irritated as I was with the YMCA when they threw the program under the bus, I still carry my Y instructor trainer card. That used to be one helluva good basic program, and I am glad I was a part of it.
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom