YMCA Cert. Card & Advanced Open Water Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hold a YMCA OW 2 from 1985 that I hold in far higher regard than what I see from other AOW certifications. I'm going to Mexico tomorrow and I will knock out an AOW to avoid problems from DM's that were not yet born when I was certified. As I read the text in preparation I'm having flash backs to 1985.

When I needed to order a replacement card there was some information that we could pick up a CMAS card with our Y certification. I sent an email or two and didn't get anywhere. Does anyone have any specific information?

I still remember the beginning of my Y semester-long course where the instructor told us about the value of the training we were going to receive. on our training dives we would see classes from other agencies where the students are fumbling around with their gear and struggling in the water but before we hit the open water we will be very competent an comfortable and that we will notice a discernible difference in our fitness due to the exercise we will get over the course of our training.

In addition to the basics we covered search and recovery, deep diving, altitude diving and charts, search and recovery, underwater photography, CPR, first aid, rescue (SLAM), limited visibility (simulated and actual), free diving skills, boat diving, night diving, spear fishing, etc., etc. On top of that most of it was through surf entries off of rocky shores in cold water, heavy currents, and limited vis. (We did buddy breathing ascents, blindfolded ditch and dons, equipment exchanges, ...)

Reminds me of the old joke about some divers from some different agencies whose dive boat sinks off-shore.

Yeah, I know. It sounds like an older-fart talking about the "good old days." Sorry about that.

Nothing against anyone else. We all start somewhere and there are fantastic divers that started with a resort OW certification-mill class. What I'm trying to say is that I am very thankful to Jim Wetzel and Larry Heimie for the outstanding class they taught, training they provided, and standards they upheld. (yes, instructors are the key).

If you send me a copy of your YMCA card I can send you an SEI advanced card. We are the program that took the place of the YMCA and also issue CMAS cards. I'd need a little more info but based on your training and experience I could likely issue a CMAS 2 star. 3 if you also did the SLAM rescue course. All it'll cost you is the processing fees and postage.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom