Yet another this or that. VEO 250 or Vyper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarmWaterWeenie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is my first post (other than an introduction), so take it easy on me:D . First, thanks for your help and your patience for reading this long post.

I have read the past two years of posts on this forum (ya, I'm pretty AR when it comes to researching equipment). I think I've narrowed it down to these two and wanted the experts' thoughts. I understand the Aeris XR2 is also popular, but is there a reason to go with that over the VEO?

These both have the basics of what I want, which is relatively simple-to-use, easy to view, wrist mounted, Nitrox capable, computer downloadable, owner replaceable battery, inexpensive.

Oceanic VEO 250:
-More liberal NDLs
-Get to purchase from Scubatoys!
-Less expensive?
-Easier to use (less buttons)?

Suunto Vyper:
-Suuntos seem very popular here
-More robust?
-Would purchase from Divetank

For me, it's going to come down to the following factors and would like your thoughts/observations:
-Ergonomics: this is probably the most important. Is one easier to use? Does one have a better way of showing info (like NDLs, nitrogen loading, etc.)? Is the 2 button config on the 250 easier than the 4 button on the Vyper?
-Size, both diameter and thickness: smaller is better .
-Other features: does one or the other have unique features?
-Price: I haven't checked prices at scubatoys or divetank, but based on Leisure Pro's site, it looks like the VEO is going to be cheaper.
-Robustness/reliability

Thanks for your assistance.

Comparisons such as you request are difficult to come by because most of us only have one of the two items. I'm in that category, at least. I have a Veo250 and like it. Easy to read, set and migrate through. Mine's console mounted.

My comments in the link below, about Aeris vs. Suunto, apply here also, since the Aeris and Veo are both made by the same manufacturer.

Both are good, but I feel that the N2 bargraph on the Veo provides very useful info not provided by the Suunto.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2772854&postcount=5

Does the Veo have a gauge mode? If not, I'd personally buy the Vyper. Also, the Vyper only has three buttons (I know, I own one). I assume the Veo can also be dled, correct? I like that the Vyper can be put into a DSS bungeed boot (more secure, easier to don, and depth compensates).

deepstops:
The Suunto is just too conservative for repetitive diving IMO, go with the VEO 250.

I dive a Versa Pro (original, not the Versa Pro 2) and love it.

We just got back from Bonaire a few weeks ago doing 4-5 dives per day with multi-level profiles down to 120' (usually 80-100') and our dives ranged from 50-75 minutes, always with plenty of NDL left. Don't blow through your ascents, and the Suuntos just aren't that conservative. At 75 minutes, I'm usually ready to end the dive anyway.

Thanks guys.

The ability to mount on a DSS boot with a bungee is nice.

Charlie, thanks for the info on N2 loading graph on the Veo. That might be the difference maker there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom