Yet Another Jetfin Question, this time, heel straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halcyon Springs are on all three of my sets.

Although some complain about them, I like having a pull tab, and haven't broken mine yet in hundreds of dives. Fin straps don't need to cost more than $24. My partner has XS straps and she immediately requested I sew on a larger pull tab so she could grab them easier with her dry gloves.

Pin Style

Bungee shock cord like MaxBottomtime is a good cheap middle ground between rubber straps and spring straps.

If you want to get fancy, double loop 3/16" shock cord so you have 2 strands on your heel. You can get some 1in nylon tubular webbing to incase the shock cord, keeping everything in a nice package. (AKA faux spring straps)

In the very rare chance that a spring strap would break (which ironically happened twice for me with 2 separate defective straps) you can't do an infield repair unless you carry a spare plus some tools (either pliers or a heavy weight to hammer with).
With rubber or bungee straps you have the possibility of a quick field repair. My next pair of Jets will have bungee for these reasons.

On that note, bungee mask straps encased in nylon tubular webbing are way better than the neoprene slap straps because they stick better to your hood and the strap doesn't tend to float off your head during those backrolls. Downside is you can't easily adjust it.

Although some complain about them, I like having a pull tab, and haven't broken mine yet in hundreds of dives. Fin straps don't need to cost more than $24. My partner has XS straps and she immediately requested I sew on a larger pull tab so she could grab them easier with her dry gloves.

Pin Style

I've got their "Pro" straps on my jets. Absolutely love them!

Thanks for the advise, XS springs it is!

What size would you suggest for L and XL Jetfins? 10" or 12" ?

I take it that once you switch to springs, you modify the strap buckle(s) so that there is no going back to the old rubber straps, correct?

I just picked up two sets of Jets, a pair of rockets, and another pair of similar fins (can't remember the name) and I'll be putting bungees on all of them. I've never dived with bungees or springs but I can't justify $40+ for straps for fins I got for less than $10.

Thanks for the advise, XS springs it is!

What size would you suggest for L and XL Jetfins? 10" or 12" ?

I take it that once you switch to springs, you modify the strap buckle(s) so that there is no going back to the old rubber straps, correct?

XS are my favorite choice. I never did find the pull tabs entirely useful, they just helped in getting my fingers around the spring itself, which you can already do if you slip in from the corner of your heel.

For the size, put your foot and bootie into the fin and measure the length from where the connection post is to the opposite post. You'll want to get a strap that's 1-2in shorter than that measured length. If you get 11 or 12in, get the 10in. If your get 10.5in, you may want to get a 9in strap which XS doesn't sell. 8 in for a 10.5in measurement might feel too tight and cramp your foot..

Springs, springs, springs. But one reason I like the Hollis fins is that with their spring set up there are three possible positions to adjust the length. Makes life easy when switching boots like I do for different conditions.

I just picked up two sets of Jets, a pair of rockets, and another pair of similar fins (can't remember the name) and I'll be putting bungees on all of them. I've never dived with bungees or springs but I can't justify $40+ for straps for fins I got for less than $10.
I've put about 500 dives on bungees without a single problem. Save the $40 for air fills.
BTW, I'm not bashing spring straps. I used them for years and liked them until I tried bungees. Bungees are way more comfortable, easy to use and replace in the field and much cheaper, as am I. :)

Back
Top Bottom