Yet Another Indonesia Trip Report, Part 2 - Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manuel Sam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The second part of our trip took us to Raja Ampat, recognized by many as having the richest reefs in the world.

Getting There

The worst part about diving Raja Ampat has to be getting in and out of Sorong in West Papua on the domestic flights.

After Lembeh, we had a choice of flying out on Saturday on a direct flight from Manado to Sorong on Express Air, or to Makassar (Ujung Pandang), overnighting there, and then flying to Sorong on Sunday.

For us, the choice was obviously the direct flight, and I guess that from the standpoint of being able to get to Sorong without delays - and with all of our luggage - we were pleasantly surprised. What was a lot less pleasing was the 35,000 Rp charge per kilo of excess baggage, (about 10K Rp to the USD) which for an excess of 42 Kg between the two of us, worked out to a staggering sum of 1,500,000 Rp!!!!

Granted, this worked out to be around $75 per person. The allowance is 15Kg per person. And you can't pay by credit card either. On the way back to Manado, we had the same 15Kg allowance with Lion Air, but they only charged 10,000 Rp per kilo of excess baggage, and having been burned once already, we had overstuffed our carry-ons and managed to bring the excess baggage down to 14Kg per person or about $14 each. It is worth noting that in Sorong, you can only pay your excess baggage charge with Rupiahs.

Our experience with Lion Air was not as bad as I had antcipated. They didn't gouge us on the excess baggage, they didn't lose our luggage, and the flight attendant was cordial and accommodating. My carry-on would not fit in the overhead compartment and because I was on an exit row, it could not be placed beneath the seat in front. At first she suggested putting it in the luggage compartment, to which I vehemently pleaded not to, so she agreed to let me put it on an empty seat at the back of the plane.

Both airlines are quite restrictive as far as the size and weight of carry-ons because they fly small propeller planes. Luckily they didn't weigh ours. Check-in counter agents seem to almost automatically flag down rigid rolling suitcases (the ones that fit nicely into the overhead compartments of regular planes) and make you check them in - regardless of how much you cry about the fragile nature of cameras and lenses. Soft duffles or backpacks - as in compressible - are the way to go for these domestic flights.

The airline experience notwithstanding, we had a superb week with Papua Diving, and if I sound a bit effusive about our experience there, it is because they deserve a little acknowledgement for the way in which they pampered us and also because of their efforts to try to preserve this area.

The Resort

Upon arrival in Sorong, we were met by Ivan from Papua Diving and driven to the Je Meridien Hotel for an overnight. The resorts at Kri Island, where we were to stay for the week, observe Saturdays as a rest day so transfers to and from the resort are normally done on Sundays.

The boat ride to Kri Island takes less than 2 hours. The seas were very calm - they tend to be fairly calm year-round, I was told.

We had overcast conditions on several days of the week we were there and even some serious downpours. But on those days when the sun was out and the sky was clear and the water was like glass - like on the Friday that we headed out to Manta Point - it was hard to tell Heaven from Earth as you looked out at the horizon?..it was just so breathtakingly gorgeous. It reminded me of Palau in 1999. Yup, Raja Ampat and the Rock Islands of Palau, two very special places on this Earth.

We stayed at the Sorido Bay Resort, the newer (and posher) of the two resorts on Kri Island that are owned and operated by Papua Diving. The other one is the Kri Eco-Resort. Walking along the beach at low tide, the two are only 10 minutes apart by foot, and yet they are light-years apart as far as creature comforts.

The Sentani bungalow where we stayed at is one of their more modest offerings, and yet, at 700+ sq. ft., it was the most spacious and well-appointed of all the dive resort accommodations for two people that I have ever stayed at. Each bungalow has a sizable patio at the back end for leaving wet stuff such as wetsuits to drip and dry. At the front end, French doors open onto a beachfront porch with twin hammocks and twin lounge chairs. It was easy to get spoiled by the king-size bed, twin bathroom sinks, separate toilet and shower, ample lighting, AC, satellite TV, WiFi (weak signal, tho), a mini-fridge, and to top it all off, a camera table with 220/110V outlets and a sink with running water. Even after they added a twin-size bed, there was no lack of space.

About the only issues we encountered were mosquitoes, especially at dawn and dusk - for which we took Malarone as a precaution - and also, the occasional bug in the room, which elicited the customary "eek" from my niece followed by my obligatory stomp. Water pressure in the shower was a bit weak. In the whole scheme of things, not major showstoppers given that we were right at the edge of a lush forest, and on an island somewhat remote from the nearest urban area.

Just as noteworthy as the accommodations was the service provided by the staff, led by the owner, Max Ammer, and the onsite resort managers, Claudia and Leon Joubert, both accomplished u/w photographers and videographers. Their aim-to-please and can-do attitude was most refreshing and extended to the entire staff.

When we asked for more than the standard three guided boat dives per day, they made it happen without a glitch and went as far as to alter the daily meal schedule to accommodate our request. As a result, we were able to do 4 dives a day, including two 5-dive days, and still made it to dinner by 7:00PM when we didn't night dive. Even on our day of arrival, we managed to squeeze in 3 dives after arriving at noontime, for a total of 25 dives for the week.

For the entire week, there were only three divers, and yet, on every dive we had two dive guides with us, a boat driver and a helper - and this was true even when it was just the two of us doing Manta Point on that Friday. Otto, who has been working for Max for 17 years, is a gem of a dive guide who went the extra mile to find what we wanted to shoot. He knows the dive sites very well: you could tell because we were almost always dropped in with such pinpoint accuracy as to be able to descend right upon the seafans that he was targetting for different types of pygmy seahorses.

The Manta Point dives are typically a two-tank trip, but Otto, anticipating that we would want to stay for a third dive, brought an extra set of tanks, and sure enough, we had decent manta encounters on the second dive that begged for a third dive there. And because we had missed lunch due to the third dive, upon our return, Leon even got us room service - ie, meals delivered to our bungalow.

The Diving

After a week of mucking in the muck of Lembeh, it took the better part of one dive to get reacclimated to diving again in currents. Not that we encountered mask-tearing types of current, but many of the dives were in current, weaving our way around the reefs to look for stuff, which necessarily meant swimming against the current for a while, and then with, and then against, etc.

The diving here will not wow you with big animal action, although there are occasional sightings of sharks - we saw mostly Black Tip Reef sharks. Wobbegong sharks can be seen on almost every dive, and with some luck, Epaulette sharks can be seen at night. Over the span of one week of diving we also saw Napoleon Wrasse, schooling Humphead Parrotfish, schooling Barracudas, mackerels, schooling Big Eye Trevallys as well as Giant and Bluefin Trevallys, Sweetlips, and large snappers and groupers. And of course, there are the mantas at Manta Point.

Nor will it wow you with the variety of exotic macro critters that Lembeh has, altho pygmy seahorses are pretty much guaranteed. Up to five of the known seven species of pygmy seahorses have been seen here. We saw the yellow H. Bargibanti for the first time. We also saw the more common red H. Bargibanti, H. Pontohi, and H. Denise. Every dive can be a pygmy seahorse dive for the asking, just as easily as it can be a wide angle dive©å.therein lies every shooter's conundrum. There is also a good variety of nudibranchs, and mandarinfish can be seen right off the Sorido pier.

What will blow you away, though, is the sheer volume and immense variety of fish. When I refocused from looking out into the blue for Mr. Big, to looking at all the colorful fish on the reef, I was astounded by the number of fish that I had never seen before. I was particularly captivated by one that I saw at the Kri Eco-Resort pier, which I later looked up to be the Splendid Dottyback, a colorful fish that seems to be in perpetual motion except when it goes into hiding. Wasted 20 minutes to get two mediocre shots.

Also quite remarkable are the huge schools of small fish: clouds of silversides mixed in with schools of sardines at a dive site called Lalosi(sp?) hovering just above the reef, under constant attack by trevallys, mackerels, snappers, and by my account, a wahoo; schools of Golden Sweepers that swarmed around coral heads or bommies like bees around a beehive; and seemingly never-ending streams of fusiliers sweeping over the reef.

During surface intervals on our trips to Manta Point, we tied up on Arborek Island where sardines (probably mackerel or oxeye scads) and silversides congregate in massive numbers under the pier to the delight of the local children who catch them to use as bait to catch bigger fish. It is quite a sight to see these schools of sardines swimming in unison with mouths wide open to catch whatever drifts by or when fending off the attacks of the marauding Bluefin Trevallys.

There is also an incredible diversity of corals, hard and soft - all in very healthy state. More hydroids per square foot than anywhere else I've been in - and they seem to have an amazing knack for finding the remaining 10 square inches of exposed skin on your body.

As for the mantas, we had come here in the hopes of seeing lots of them - just like in photographs in the magazines. Unfortunately, the large numbers never materialized, although we were still very pleased to be able to capture a conga line of three in one frame. The best I'd done before were two in one frame in Socorros. Winter months, we were told, are better.

Concluding Remarks

Most of my diving in recent years has been on liveaboards, for two primary reasons: (1) they get you to prime dive sites that are not within easy reach of land-based day boats; and (2) with few exceptions, you can pretty much dive til you drop.

It is not my intent to start a discussion on the merits of liveaboard vs. land-based, but I think that after doing enough liveaboard trips, I sort of became desensitized to having to live within relatively confined spaces, the constant roar of engines and generators, borderline water pressure, and for the most part, minimal contact with world events. On this last point, I always think back to learning about 9/11 some three days later, upon return to port on the Solmar V liveaboard in Mexico.

In the process, I think that I lost sight of how nice it is to (1) be on a dive vacation and still have creature comforts; (2) share a room with someone without constantly bumping into each other or getting in each other's way; and, (3) be awakened in the morning by bird songs rather than the clanging of the anchor chain or the cranking of the engine upon startup.

This trip to Lembeh, and particularly to Sorido, has opened my eyes to the fact that it is possible to dive prime sites while land-based and in relative luxury, with good food, and still dive til you drop.

Attachments

• S-shark-wobbiegong01TR.JPG
    S-shark-wobbiegong01TR.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 230
  • S-snappers02TR.JPG
    S-snappers02TR.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 177
  • S-sweetlip-ribbon04TR.JPG
    S-sweetlip-ribbon04TR.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 142
  • S-stripedcatf01TR.JPG
    S-stripedcatf01TR.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 137
  • S-silversides n sardines01TR.JPG
    S-silversides n sardines01TR.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 211
  • S-goldensweepers04TR.JPG
    S-goldensweepers04TR.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 169
  • S-manta03TR.JPG
    S-manta03TR.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 152
  • S-dottyback-splendid01TR.JPG
    S-dottyback-splendid01TR.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 143
  • S-pygmy seahorse-bargi01TR.JPG
    S-pygmy seahorse-bargi01TR.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 146
  • S-pygmy seahorse-pontohi03TR.JPG
    S-pygmy seahorse-pontohi03TR.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 152
Thanks for another informative report Manuel Sam. Did you do any WW2 wreck dives? What was the topography like, were there any walls or deeper dives? I get the impression that most of the diving is on gentle sloping reefs and mostly shallow, is that right? -Andy

Great trip report!....That is truly amazing diving. That is why I'm going back for my third time in around 18 months.....the three times I've been to Manta Point the most Mantas I've seen were 4 and that was Oct and Jan.

Since they have not started that Sunday flight I am planning to go and spend Saturday nite in "SoWrong" myself. What time does that Saturday flight leave Manado to SoWrong?

How are the new Managers? The last couple of times I've been there Helena and James were there also Otto is a great Dive Guide!.....I'll have to try to get 4 dives in myself I usually do the standard 3....Raja also Lembeh is my favorite spot(s) I have dove...although Palau in March was happening!

Also...the last time coming back on wonderful LION AIR......I got my dive bag back about a month later!...you were lucky!

Silent...What I have experienced....there are walls depending where you dive but a lot of it is sloping, I've been to 120' really no reason to go that deep. There is a P47 razorback you can dive....If you really want to find wrecks....Max can take you to some that have never been mapped he is amazing about his knowledge of WWII in that area.

Andy: Scott pretty much answered your questions. There are wrecks and nobody knows them better than Max, since one of his many pursuits in life prior to getting into the diving business was one of search and recovery.

We didn't dive any of the wrecks - I myself am not much of a wreck fan unless they are like the Liberty in Tulamben - I like them more for the life that is on them than for the wreck itself.

As far as the diving, again, as Scott said, most of the walls that we dove were gently sloping walls. I recall that the deepest we went was maybe 120 ft. to shoot a huge school of Sweetlips in the Cape Kri divesite. There is no bottomless wall that I can recall. Most of diving is done in the 50-70 ft. depth range unless they are going for a specific critter, like when we went for the yellow Bargibanti, which was at around 100 ft., or for the red Denise with carbuncles, which was 90-100.

What I found, tho, which is probably true of just about any dive site that is subject to currents, is that you could dive a site one day and find it boring as hell because the current wasn't right, and then dive it again a couple of days later and be smiling ear to ear.

Scott: the Saturday flight on Express Air left at 6:15 AM. We left KBR about 2:30AM and got there in just over an hour - waaaay too early. The Manado airport was a bit spooky because there was nobody there and everything was closed - feels very unsafe. They eventually opened at around 4:45-5:00AM. In other words, don't bother getting up as early as we did when you go, altho if you are staying at Lembeh Resort, you still have that boat ride across.

I thought the new managers, Leon and his wife Claudia, were fantastic. I mean, the things that I mentioned - sending meals to our room or making it possible for us to dive to our hearts' content was above and beyond any expectations. You may find when you go that they may have already made the new meal schedule permanent to accommodate people like us who want to dive til we drop.

I recall your agony with Lion Air - I guess we were pretty fortunate. Just to elaborate a little bit on the excess baggage on the way back: we decided to go with two carry-ons each instead of one, even tho on paper they only allow one - that's how we managed to take 15Kg out of our check-in luggage. For lack of additional duffle bags, we loaded the stuff into a tote bag and a dive gear mesh bag. As long as you don't overload them, they won't even look at them. But next time, I'll bring an extra duffle bag.

Manuel...did Max take you up in that little plane he got?

Did you have a chance to get up to Fam?....the topside was one of the most beautiful areas I've ever seen and the diving was great at Melissa's garden.

Thanks for the heads up getting to the Airport in Manado. I'll be moving over to the Murex resort in Bunaken on Friday nite from Bangka.....they said that is about an hour plus trip to the Airport....I am going to bring my lost luggage receipt from last year and throw in Lion air's face when they try to charge me an overage fee...for the hell of it...perhaps they will give me a break....LOL

What did you do for the day in SoWrong?

No, he emailed me this morning to tell me that the plane was now ready to take guests up. He had a lot of problems with those inflatable pontoons leaking - they were working on something almost daily. He did go up a few times during my time there. His son Mike had a few friends at the resort and maybe some of them got to go up.

I did Fam when I did the Pelagian liveaboard back in 2004. Yes, it was a pretty site but it was the mantas that I was after on this trip. If you come back from your November trip and report seeing 20 mantas in a conga line, I'll get on the next plane to Indonesia.

We did absolutely nothing in SoWrong except eat and sleep. The Je Meridien is right across from the airport and a bit far from the center of town. Nothing that we saw on the drive from the dock to the hotel looked inviting. The only thing that might have appealed to me would have been to find a place where they serve fresh mud crabs, but it was hot outside with scattered rain, so vegging out in the room under AC seemed to make the most sense at least to us.

Thanks Scott and Manuel. I'm mostly interested in wrecks for the animal life too, but I'm also a WW2 history buff, so I will be paying Max a visit sooner or later...

We lived in Indo for 10 years and never got to the raja empats. We plan to go next year and are wondering whether to take a liveabord or do the resorts???? ANy advice??? If we do a ship, which one??? Should we do Kiron bay at the same time?

I do not like LOB's for all the same reasons Manuel states....This year when I go to Sorido I will do 4 dives a day. Plus Sunday AM you can get a couple of dives in before the transfer boat leaves.

Scott,

If you add the night dive, then you can make it 5 a day. And if you want to max the dives out to the absolute max, then you can also do a twilight/night dive on Saturday, because their Saturday observance ends at 6:00pm on Saturday (same reason you can't night dive on Friday, because it starts at 6:00pm as well). Only problem with that is that your gear will still be wet by the time you get on the plane....and then there's the excess baggage charges and the stench upon arrival at home. On the other hand, if you rent (maybe for those last few dives), it ceases to be an issue.

As for liveaboards vs. land-based, again, it was not my intent to start that discussion here - I apologize if my concluding remarks could have been construed that way.

Carolsarinah:

I think that there are merits to both. In many world class dive destinations like Galapagos, Cocos, etc., liveaboard is, in my opinion, the way to go because they're either the only game in town or because they are the only means to get to the really primo sites.

If I were in your shoes, I'd first look at how many days I have available. If I only had 7-10 days, I'd do land-based in Sorido because the living conditions at Sorido are sooo goshdamn nice, the dive sites in the vicinity of Kri are primo, and there's enough variety to keep you entertained. If I had two weeks or more, I might look at my options: you could choose to do land-based because there are several side trips that Papua Diving offers (they do add a fuel surcharge) to some rather unique sites that are a little farther away, which provide additional variety to round off a second week.........after all, some people come here and stay for 2-3 weeks, so something has to be keeping them pretty happy. Or you might consider liveaboard because there is a lot of excellent diving in Raja Ampat and beyond that is well beyond the reach of day boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom