Yet another ear thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have trouble with my ears also, I use ear candles you can get them at any health food store. You just light one end and stick the other end in your ear and it sucks the wax right out of your head.

You can always try leeches too. Or you can just leave the wax alone since that is a natural occurrence.

Placebo effect is an amazing thing.

A month of problems is pretty different from a day. I've had the occasional day or two of crackling after a dive but nothing like this. Anyway, I had the nose probe and a hearing test and some kind of pressure test and a few other things checked yesterday. Everything is fine, the drum is still fine, but I'm still crackling. I'm on a 6 day course of an oral steroid to try and cut down on any inflammation that might be going on, but if that doesn't clear things up the ENT is stumped. I'll see how it goes.

Nathan

I've a very similar effect but it always resolves within about 2 weeks at the latest. My ENT is also stumped and is having me try a steroidal nasal spray, antihistamine, and saline wash in combination. But he asked me to lay off the decongestant while trying this combo. I won't be diving again until my trip to Saba in June and fortunately I will be within arms reach of dive medicine experts on that island. I plan to go see the doctor as soon as my problem occurs and get a good look at my ear. Up until now I've had to wait until I returned home and several days have lapsed.

I also highly recommend the ear seminar video that Dandy Don is linking to in his signature line. It is the best presentation on ear equalization that I have found to date.

My ENT is also stumped and is having me try a steroidal nasal spray, antihistamine, and saline wash in combination.

I also highly recommend the ear seminar video that Dandy Don is linking to in his signature line. It is the best presentation on ear equalization that I have found to date.

Yeah, I did the steroidal spray (Nasonex) and the saline wash before going on the oral steroids. The Nasonex didn't help and the saline wash just made my nose runny.

I've seen most of the ear seminar already, but need to finish watching it one of these days.

Nathan

Yeah, I did the steroidal spray (Nasonex) and the saline wash before going on the oral steroids. The Nasonex didn't help and the saline wash just made my nose runny.

I've seen most of the ear seminar already, but need to finish watching it one of these days.

Nathan

Well...that's promising. Do let us know if the oral steroids make a difference. I'm ready to try anything.

Actually, there was a doctor on my last liveaboard who has the same problem. He said using 5mg of Prednisone fixed his problem. He recommended taking it 2 days or so prior to the first dive and then continuing 2 days past the last dive. I just couldn't get a prescription from my ENT since he thinks it might be overkill. He's not a diver, though.

Well...that's promising. Do let us know if the oral steroids make a difference. I'm ready to try anything.

Actually, there was a doctor on my last liveaboard who has the same problem. He said using 5mg of Prednisone fixed his problem. He recommended taking it 2 days or so prior to the first dive and then continuing 2 days past the last dive. I just couldn't get a prescription from my ENT since he thinks it might be overkill. He's not a diver, though.
Or maybe he is just being careful...?

Prednisone Warnings - 10 Things You Should Know About Prednisone :11:

Which Claratin/Claritin do you use? It's a brand name applied to different combinations involving Loratadine antihistamine.

I actually use Zyrtec now, just the 24 hour allergy version. Why do you ask?

Just so you know, I never had allergies before I started diving. After my very first dive I've had allergy problems ever since. Strange, I know, but that's just how it worked out for me.

I've been following this thread and decided to jump in, since I'm on day 10 of a 14-day regimen of prednisone to help with my ear issue, which my ENT calls a likely case of inner ear barotrauma resulting from a dive about a month ago. Prednisone was prescribed for 5 days at 60mg, followed by 4 days of 40mg; 20mgs today and tomorrow, followed by 10mgs on days 13 and 14. I'm not getting much relief from the tinnitus I've experienced for the past month and suspect (though it may be premature) that I've done some permanent damage.

My questions: Okay, now what? Does hearing loss/tinnitus mean my diving days are over? More so, is there risk of further damage and, if so, what type of damage? (Obviously, questions for my ENT but I would appreciate, and value, many opinions on this site.)

Thanks and apologies if I've gone off on a tangent.

Have you guys contacted DAN? They may have an answer to your problem? It's worth a shot.

Have you guys contacted DAN? They may have an answer to your problem? It's worth a shot.

I haven't yet. If things down clear up after this round of meds I may do that. My policy did just auto-renew with them after all.

Nathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom