Yet another Cozumel trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narc'd1

Reaction score
Just got home from 6 days in Cozumel…11/16 – 11/21
We (myself, wife & another couple) stayed at the Presidente Inter-Continental, and used Scuba Du for diving. This was my third time to Cozumel, my previous stays were a week with the local dive shop crew at La Ceiba, and a visit by Cruise ship. This visit was the best so far.
We arrived a little later than scheduled, about 11:00am, but that was fine, our room wasn’t ready and they said about two hours, we figured we’d grab some lunch and the room would be ready when we were done. We looked around a bit and went to the open air restaurant, we finished around 1 and went to get the room. At this point I was hot, we are from NY so I was dressed in jeans. They said the room still wasn’t ready and it would be another hour. The hotel didn’t seem that busy and we couldn’t figure out why it was taking so long. We sat around for another half hour and grew a little impatient so my wife and I went to see what the delay was, after a little btchin, they said they would upgrade us to the beachfront room. I told him that we had already paid for the beachfront room so that wasn’t an upgrade. Now I was really hot… after a minute of arguing about that, he goes over to the manager, comes back and gives us one of the reef suites. What a room!!! Living room, two bathrooms (1 with a shower, and 1 with a bath), two TV’s, cordless phone, king size comfortable bed and it even had a sink in the living room closet! The veranda was double size, had a table w/chairs, and two lounge chairs. The water was about 10 meters away. Needless to say, I was extremely pleased with the accommodations. The weather, however, was not so cooperative. We got in a snorkel before the clouds rolled in, the wind picked up and it started raining.
We went to Pancho’s Backyard the first night and were pleased with the food. I had the combination, should’ve had the shrimp.

Sunday was a wash, no diving, too windy. Went into town, shopped and stopped by Chedraui for some supplies, booze & soda. Dinner was at The Presidente, good food, a little pricey for Mexico, but then again I noticed most of the prices in Cozumel have gone up. Service was excellent.

Monday dives were at Palancar caves, and Paso del Cedral. Weather was cloudy and windy, water was rough. We did the dives in the afternoon on the “Scuba Du I”, had 10 divers on board which were split into two groups, each with their own divemaster, plenty of room. We also had a chance to do a beach dive in the morning. Dinner at La Choza, good food, good service.

Tuesday dives were at Columbia Wall and San Francisco Wall. Great dives!! We did the afternoon dive off the “Isabele”, four divers on board and one divemaster. Very nice current on S.F. Wall, covered a lot of ground and came across a few turtles. Got some great shots of one of them. Surface was rough and windy. Dinner was at Prima, I love the food there…

Wednesday dives were in the morning at Santa Rosa Wall, and Tormentos reef. Dove off the “Scuba Du II”, about ten divers, split into two groups with two divemasters. Large Spotted Eagle Ray at Santa rosa, tons of marine life, lobsters, and Barracuda at Tormentos. Lunch was at Ernesto’s Fajita Factory, great Fajitas! Dinner was at La Mission, We had a really good time there, the food was excellent. It was pouring outside, roads were flooded, but that just added to the fun…

Thursday was just breakfast, relaxing, and checkout…

Overall we loved the Presidente, friendly staff, clean grounds. Scuba Du was fine, price was high, but convenient. I don’t need much, just a ride to the reef and I’m happy. Plenty of fruit and water between dives. I remember seeing many more Moray Eels the last time I was there, don’t know if their population has dropped, but I only came across one the whole week. The weather was mostly stormy and windy during our stay, but at least we only lost one day of diving. Average temperature was 80F air, 82F water. We usually did the breakfast buffet, skipped lunch, and went out to dinner. That’s what we typically like to do.

Thanks for checking out my report, happy diving…

Sure does make me homesick. We wanna see those pictures!

I realized why you got the upgrade when you mentioned that "Sunday was a wash. No diving, too windy".

Hurricane season is the budget travelers dream! Or nightmare.

I want to go to Cozumel so bad.......I'm going to have to stop reading these reports.

Dee once bubbled...
We wanna see those pictures!

OK, it took me a while, but here are the pictures ... Let me know what you think, I've only used the camera a few times.

Sure brings back Coz memories!

I thought by mid November the weather would be nice? We went in October (peak Hurricane season) and were very lucky with nice weather.
Your pictures are great - my husbands' favourite fish is the Squirrel fish! They must hide during the day and come out more at night because I saw just a few during the day but many, many at night.
Cedral's Pass Wall dive is one of my favourites.
Thanks for your trip report.
Barb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom