Yes/No requirement for Med form

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was 14 years old when I got certified I had to present a medical release/form whatever in order to be allowed into the course. I was probably more healthy than I've ever been since, That was 54 years ago, in all that time nobody has ever questioned my health v diving. Isn't that ironic? IMO a student should go to their MD and get a yes or no "release" for diving. Since someone can dive all their life and never be required to provide a health update what is the sense in medical details?

On the few charters I've been on I just answer no to all the questions. It's none of their business. I signed your liability release take me diving.

As long as you don't discriminate on the basis of sex, religion or color, you can pretty much do whatever you please.
I'd add: who a business can (legally) refuse to serve depends on where the business operates.

It's a big world out there - with about 200 countries there are way more than 200 sets of laws regarding discrimination (since some countries have many different sets depending on location). Many countries protect many more categories than just gender, religion, race or ethnicity; many others don't even protect those.

I always answer no to the questions on trips, but I also take a minute make sure I'm not taking something or have a medical issue that would be helpful if known by people trying to render aid should I get in trouble.

I'm a big advocate of personal privacy, but in this case, I choose to disclose everything on mine and have the doctor sign it. I'm more worried about if I get sick and some piece of information may have been useful in advanced life support. Also concerned whether insurance would cover treatment if I failed to disclose pertinent medical information. I guess what I am wondering in this situation, is what people think a dive center is going to do with your information, other than hopefully save your life if something happens.

If I had personal medical information that I believe would be helpful to emergency medical services personnel, I would prefer to carry a medical ID tag than disclose it on a form that may or may not be noticed.

About the diabetics discussion, I know a trimix diver with it and he is doing technical dives up to 3 hours without any problems.
I know a diver with a pacemaker and is still doing dives over 100m without problems (seems pacemakers are depth rated from 15m till 60m).

And 1 time I had a student with a signed paper from a doctor and he was in such a bad condition that he couldn't swim 25m at surface. So from me he did not get a cert.

I am happy I can sign all questions no without lying.

I know a diver with a pacemaker and is still doing dives over 100m without problems (seems pacemakers are depth rated from 15m till 60m).
Some St. Jude Pacemakers are indeed depth rated to 60m, but the official explanation is that they were tested to 60m and did not fail. They specifically said that their tests did not indicate what might happen at a deeper depth. As you indicate, some divers have pressure tested them weill beyond that depth. That explanation further says that if they failed at a greater depth, they would go back to work when taken back shallower.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom