Yellowing of silicone mask material

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The simple answer is NO.
There is no way to remove the yelowing of a clear mask used in sea water and/or pool water.
Yellowing do not change the silicone properties, but makes it look ugly.
Black masks do not have that problem, or at least, cannot be seen.

I've never heard it referred to as "marine yellowing." The sun may have an effect but it's probably mostly happening in your closet. Clear silicone gets yellowed from exposure to rubber like neoprene wetsuits, some fins, etc. If you're not already, keep your mask away from rubber in storage, ideally in a plastic mask box if you're not already. Also best not to leave it in the sun any more than necessary - even if that doesn't yellow it, it doesn't do it (or most gear) any good.

If you are willing to do it for a long period of time, storing masks in a light bleach solution can relieve some of the yellowing. That same bleach can also weaken the plastic over time.

As noted, store it away from black stuff especially neoprene, or other rubber stuff like fins.

When the yellowing starts getting noticeable, just get another one. I've been buying dive gear for a long time now, and sometimes it just has to get replaced. You can always sell your yellowed old stuff to those vintage diver types.
I have had lots of the clear silicone masks - now mine are black. They're low-profile so there's no tunnel vision effect that used to give me the creeps sometimes.

Is there a chemical treatment that will remove the marine yellowing of our masked-adventures into inner space?
I succeeded using creamy hydrogen peroxide (the same used by hairdressers) 80 volumes. Be careful to wear gloves and apply with a brush. The process is accelerated if you put the mask under the sun inside a clear plastic bag, in few hours will be almost like new

Creamy Hydrogen Peroxide 80 volumes works fine, this chemical is the same used in hairdressing for discoloring hair. Be careful since it´s a strong oxidizer. Wear gloves and eye protection. Apply with a brush. The process is accelerated if you put the silicone mask under the sun inside a clear plastic bag, in a few hours will be almost like new. Some strong yellowing may take two sunny days. Be aware that this chemical corrodes stainless steel. This trick also works for old white plastics. I guess liquid H2O2 also will do.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom