Yee Hah...dry at last!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I finally got a drysuit tonight. I picked up a very slightly used DUI TLS350 from a LDS in town. It fits me perfect. The only other drysuit I had tried before this one was a DUI CF200 and it was a size large and was a little big on me. The TLS I got is a medium and fits me as good as I could ever want it to provided I don't gain anymore weight which shouldn't be a problem. I actually lose a good 10 lbs. during the dive season so I should be fine. The suit doesn't fit loose and baggy in the legs but also there is no restriction of movement either. It's about as close to a cave cut suit as I could ask for I think. I also got Rock Boots too. I was worried they wouldn't fit in my Quattro fin foot pockets but they fit perfect so I won't have to go out and spend more money on Turtles. :D

You need to come back after your first few dives and share what its like.

Are you taking a Dry Suit class?

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Are you taking a Dry Suit class?

K
No, I doubt I'll take the class. I talked to one of my previous instructors about it and he recommended I just read up on it and practice a lot. I'll just try and pick up tips from my dive buddies and dive a lot. I did actually do a couple drysuit dives last summer and found it to be a good deal more challenging than wetsuit diving though the suit I did the dives in before was a little too big on me so it made it more difficult. I did have one runaway ascent from about 15 feet because the suit I was using didn't have rock boots, it just had the turbo soles and they were way too big on me. I had too much air in the suit and put my head down and all that air went in the feet and up I went! I'm anticipating my new suit with the better fit and rock boots to make things a bit easier. I'm also hoping to practice with it in the pool this weekend to get a better feel for it before I take it in open water.

Sounds like you've got a great suit.

However, I strongly suggest you take a drysuit course from a qualified Instructor. You've already experienced what it is like when you don't have proper training with that runaway ascent. That is something that a good Instructor will teach you how to AVOID.

A drysuit is NOT just another passive piece of equipment you put on and use like a pair of fins. There are techniques to learn, how to maintain the suit, etc.

Frankly, the "trial and error" approach is dangerous with a drysuit. "Read up on it and practice a lot"??? With all due respect to that Instructor, I think not.

People can, and do, get hurt doing just that. You were VERY lucky the first time... don't press your luck!

Just my $0.02's worth,

~SubMariner~

I'd also recommend a course....

An uncontrolled ascent from any depth is unacceptable. With proper training, that would never have happened. It's a very simple matter to get out of an inverted ascent before it starts. One of my rules in drysuit diving is don't invert if at all possible. It prevents the whole problem. But, if you do, there are several ways to get out of the situation.

Good luck with your suit. My old drysuit has been retired and a new custom Bare ATR-HD is on its way. Unfortunately, that means a few very cold 40 degree wet dives between now and then.

I'm going to a pool session this Saturday for drysuit lessons with one of the shop owners in town.

While I think taking a course is probably a good idea, what strikes me as odd is that I know a bunch of people that got their OW while wearing a drysuit . . .

Darryl

The guy that is giving me drysuit lessons said the PADI drysuit course isn't really that great. He said it's more of an intro to drysuit diving and not a course of great substance. I've heard that elsewhere as well. I like to learn things hands on anyway so the lesson thing is good enough for me. He's only charging $30 and that includes a tank. I feel I've learned more by diving with divers of more experience than myself than I have ever learned in any classes I've taken.

dvleemin once bubbled...
While I think taking a course is probably a good idea, what strikes me as odd is that I know a bunch of people that got their OW while wearing a drysuit . . .

Darryl

My OW was combined with a drysuit course. Not too much choice when you take the class in early spring in central NY. Even in July, the local lake is 46-48 degrees below the thermocline.

I think for most people an official "DRYSUIT COURSE" is overkill and money wasted. If you have truly experienced buddies that can run you through the drills (inverted, etc.) in shallow water and get you comfortable and properly weighted, then save your money. An "INTRO" class, like you're describing for 30 bucks may be worth it if it helps your peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom