Year round diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ems_is_4_me

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok swamp divers i am needing to buy a wet suit but i would like to dive year round. what mm do i need ? i dont have to money to dive dry or i would. any help thanks

As for wetsuits, I like a 5mm, and find it comfortable for lake diving even in summer, when not diving dry.

A 5mm full body is a pretty good all around option. If you are really going to be diving December thru February, you will really need a 7mm full body; but will be a little warm in the summer time.

Don't forget the hood and gloves! Very important!

Another note: If you are going to be diving CSSP, always wear a beanie cap at a minimum. The fish there love to nibble on ears.

7mm is a good choice. I'm diving 7mm now at CSSP and it keeps me comfortable while descending through the thermoclines. Gloves and hood are important, too, like Richerso said. Hi, Richerso :)

I use a 7mil with a 5/3 hooded vest and 5mil gloves/booties for the coldest times, December thru March. I use my 3 mil otherwise, except in the very hottest times during July/August, when I use a 2 mil shortie.

I don't think you would be happy with just one wetsuit. I guess if I had to suggest just one I would suggest a 5mm with a hooded vest. ( Is that two?) Otherwise a 3mm and a 7mm with a hood. The 3mm gives you big summer versatility while not being as bad of an oven while gearing up on the surface and the 7mm with hood covers winter if you have some cold tolerance (not me).

Ems, I dive a 7mm Bare wetsuit in winter and have been down to 42 deg water. I've got a 7mm hood and 3mm gloves. My below 50 deg dives are pretty much limited to around 30 to 40 minutes max. That's just damn cold I don't care what you're wearing. The toughest part on those cold dives is when the face hits the water until it pretty much goes numb and you don't notice it anymore.

I haven't "gone dry" either, mostly because of money, but secondly because almost everyone, (with a very few exceptions....Texdiveguy), I have been diving with that have dry suits have had issues ranging from leaky valves, leaky necks or wrists, or bouyancy issues. I've even witnessed a couple of stump-huggin incidents with their feet straight up flailing about trying to get upright. And this includes instructors. So for now, I have no desire to relearn how to dive dry....:D

I use 3 mil in 60 degree water. Shortie for summer 80 degree surface water temp in Travis.

Sorry but below 55 degrees I go dry.

I use 3 mil in 60 degree water.
:shocked2:

Shawn is a rare breed indeed, so unless you prefer your baths filled with ice cubes, I'd suggest a bit more exposure protection :wink:

Shawn & I have the same dry suits, but unless it's the dead of winter, I'm usually still diving dry, while Shawn's comfortable as a fish in his 3mm... Course I'm a wimp when it comes to cold water :shakehead:

If you can afford it I would get a 5mm Pinnacle elastaprene suit, they are expensive but one of the more versatile suits made. In the winter just add a hooded vest and you would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom