Year round diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a 3 mil shorty from June thru September. The rest of the year I wear my 5/4 Scubapro Everflex full. I have a hood I wear when it drops below 62 degrees. An option is to dive the winter months at the Comal River in New Braunfels. The temp there is a constant 72 degrees and is perfect with the 5/4 suit.

I wear a NeoSport 4/3 down to the mid sixties. If it's too cold I have a 3 mil shorty I can throw on also. The gloves and hood do make a huge difference.

Uh yeah - so say the penguins. I would get a 3 mil for summer and tickets to Cozumel in the winter :D

Thus speaks the biggest cold wimp you will ever meet :)

I dive a 5/7mm for CSSP and just add the hood and gloves as needed. I like the 5/7mm because it keeps my core warm but doesn't over heat and is good for multiple dive sites. For really warm water though, I use a 3mm shorty.

ems_is_4_me .... do you wear the same outfit year round top side ?
I bet not. If you are like most folks you dress in thick clothes for the Winter and thin clothes for the Summer and a mix in Spring and Fall.

Diving is the same way.

To dive in Texas year round you need to face water temps. from 41F to 92F ( my typical year at least)

You may wear different suits during different seasons and sometime even on the same day.

No problem. Think of it as a stylish new wardrobe.

Welcome to Diving Dude ! :wink:

and like cruiser said... I like Richerso too .... Hi Richerso !!!

Although I don't think one suit will go year-round, for winter diving I really like a semi-dry. They usually are a 5/7mm or around that, with an integrated hood. I have a Henderson, but I've heard nothing but praise for the Pinnacle versions.

By the way, they're called semi-dry because they really limit water flow through them. So much so that I've finished dives with a dry bathing suit (which also means that you have to think about employing a "mid-dive suit warmer" as flushing them out isn't easy). And one time I didn't get it smoothed against the skin and the air pockets created some interesting bruises from the air pockets squeezing. Note I said 'one time' you learn quickly not to let that happen.

Also, that same inner surface that allows them to cling and limit all flow also makes them cling during donning and doffing. Not impossible or anything, just be patient.

I went for years with my semi-dry before finally getting a dry suit. You'll be impressed by how much better than a regular suit they really are.

Good diving.

Usually process is to buy your heavy suit first.
That will see you the widest range of use.

You can buy drysuits used. Otherwise look for sales.
Drysuits Used can be had for $500 to $700.00.
I just saw a used Diverite drysuit for $200.00- but they go fast.
and a DUI TLS350 for $600.00.

New Semi drys- $400 to $500.00 (remember they have to allow water in.)
5 mils $300 or less.
3 mils cheaper and so on.

If you dive wet at 50 degrees you are looking at a thirty minute exposure and another good gentleman recommended.

There is alot that goes into enjoying the cold and Frank is the Mistro for that.
(Pssst- its digging all those Parisian tunnels!)

Andrew

You guys and gals are going to make me blush :cool:

Gee! Thanks!

I dive a drysuit with varying undergarments year round.

Back
Top Bottom