Yangtze River Dolphin extinct

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ams511:
The sharks are fined alive and their bodies thrown back in the Ocean to die. Their fins are used to make soup.
That's sickening, right up there with killing off black rhinos because "some nationality" thinks the horn (an ONLY the horn) makes a "magical" aphrodesiac - the rest is left for waste.

Come on guys! Bone and gristle as an aphrodesiac? Your kidding right? If your that low on calcium, magnesium and the like ... try taking vitamins for Sally's sake! :D Oh ... now I get it ... the real "turn on" is the ability to kill off an endangered species ... now that's REAL power huh? Well get ready for a long spell of "dry loving" cause your "fix" is going bye bye. What next? Monkey genitalia? Extinction by vasectomy? Man I sure hope they don't prove evolution is true, cause they're hunting us next! :rofl3:

Speaking of sharks, I couldn't believe how many were killed after the movie Jaws came out (which I thought was a one of the scariest movies of all time), in fear. Benchley was shocked too, and soon after started his "shark protection" fund. I'd have to admit that after seeing that movie, going into the water (even fresh) made me apprehensive ... but it never crossed my mind to senselessly slaughter millions. What worries me is how nature has a funny way of "responding back". Sometimes when a species continues to hang on despite heavy predation, when it stops, the predated species has a huge population explosion.

-----

Mike.

Midnight Star:
Come on guys! Bone and gristle as an aphrodesiac? Your kidding right? If your that low on calcium, magnesium and the like ... try taking vitamins for Sally's sake! :D

Umm...last I checked, a rhino's horn isn't made of bone and grissle....or ivory, for that matter...

It is made of modified hair.

http://www.thewildones.org/Conflict/rhino.html

Rhino horn: The horn on a rhinoceros is very different from that of a sheep or antelope. The horn is not attached to the skull. Rhino horn is made of compressed keratin fibers, the same material that is found in fingernails and hair! Some people believed that rhino horn had powerful medicinal uses, ranging in use from from stopping nosebleeds and headaches to curing diphteria and food poinsoning.

But...I digress....

Oceana Diver:
......then for saving two dolphins with the help of a long-armed man...
Yes I saw that as well. Tallest guy in the world right? Reached right down into their stomach and pulled out the plastic or so I believe.

Still - while that is a great story it's undeniable that China has some rather serious ecological problems.

Oceana Diver:
i find it interesting that china makes environmental news twice in one day, first for the extinction of a dolphin species, then for saving two dolphins with the help of a long-armed man...
I saw a brief "cut" on pollution in their end of terra, and I couldn't believe how bad it was: speaking of an industrial waste land. Like all countries though, they don't consider their resources as being a part of a greater whole; wastes arent' just contained within their respective countries. What might be a good idea, is to start having shuttle trips, that are open to the public. So everyone can see, we really don't have anyplace else to go ... and we surely can't hold our breath for a lifetime. :D

-----

Mike.

While I do agree we need to work to pollute less (or in this case, china does. They pollute way more than the US I believe.) I would also like to point out that we just found tonnes of animals that were supposed to be extinct in some part of the ocean. It is impossible to say that there are none of this dolphin anywhere in the ocean. The Bible points out that God does watch out for animals. Regardless of whether or not you believe in the Bible if it makes you feel better, atleast one religious book claims that God cares for animals. :)

JahJahwarrior:
The Bible points out that God does watch out for animals.

i wonder what the dodo did to piss God off

:wink:

Wildcard:
he Duafar BS and I called him on it.
I don't mean to hijack the thread... but curiousity is killing me. In what way is the situation in Darfur BS??

And yes, the shark situation is appalling. Will there be anything left in the oceans for my children? too depressing.

What will our planet be like in 50 years for our children and grandchildren or in 100 years for our great grandchildren? Dwelling on the thought too long can bring you to tears. It can also incite us to action.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom