Y valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rstofer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was looking at an AquaLung video this afternoon and they had a Y valve on the tank such that the octopus has a separate first stage.

Does anyone have a source for such a valve? Any thoughts about the feasibility?

Richard

It is called an H valve. The Y valves have not been made for quite some time now but an H valve will do mostly the same for you. One reason these type valves were never particularly popular is that they offer onlly half of complete redundancy for the redundancy crowd and then there are those like me who think this redundancy thing is nearly out of control.

N

I was looking at an AquaLung video this afternoon and they had a Y valve on the tank such that the octopus has a separate first stage.

Does anyone have a source for such a valve? Any thoughts about the feasibility?

Richard

Beuchat used to make "Y" valves, not sure they do any more. Sometimes they come up for sale on ebay.

The current solution as Nimrod mentioned is a "H" valve. This adds a second orifice to "modular" valve. Functionally the same as a "Y"

I have a couple single tanks set up with H valves. You are welcome to stop by and take a look, just give me a call.

Tobin

I dive two tanks with Y valves. I like the idea of having two complete regs. just in case. I don't know if there are any current manufacturers. The H valve seems to be the new model.

Over here in Europe you can get Y valves on new tanks without any fuss, and they are as common as H valves.

I use Y valves with 2 1st stages on them, providing you can operate them (reach them to open/close if needed), they work just fine. It can be a bit crowded, depending on the 1st stages, but doable.

Here's a pic of two Scubapro MK25's on a Y valve:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/111882
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/111881
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/111880

Such setup can complicate your diving or provide some sort of redundancy, depending on how you look at it. I don't really worry too much about it, I prefer to go diving instead.

Y-Valves are pretty hard to find here in the states but it seems they are more common across the pond. My buddy has an H valve on two of his tanks and is happy with it. I think he uses it with his doubles reg setup when he needs to dive singles because it lets him use the gear he is used to.

It is called an H valve. The Y valves have not been made for quite some time now but an H valve will do mostly the same for you. One reason these type valves were never particularly popular is that they offer onlly half of complete redundancy for the redundancy crowd and then there are those like me who think this redundancy thing is nearly out of control.

N

...theres the right gear for the conditions. I dive 2 1st stages because there is often snow on the beach as I make my entry.

My set-up...

hey thats my setup.. same handle too :)

Back
Top Bottom